Blackhawk Convertible

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dixiejack

Bearcat
I'm thinking about buying a Blackhawk .357/9mm convertible. I recently sold my wore out .38 Super Colt and wound up with a lot of .38 Super ammo and brass. I am wondering if the 9mm cylinder is strong enough to handle the .38 Super. Chamber pressures are very close for 9mm, .38 Super, .38 Spec. and .357 Mag.
Seems to be an easy conversion, just reaming the 9 mm cylinder with a .38 Super reamer.
Recommended twist rates for 9mm=1/10, .38 Super=1/16, 38 spec. and .357 mag.=1/16 by hornady reloading manual.
I'm missing anything or blatantly wrong? I appreciate your feedback.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
.38 Super being semi rimmed will fit a lot of .357 chambers just fine. I'd give it a try before I went to the trouble of machining a cylinder. Nope, I don't advocate it , endorse it or recommend it in any way but just saying it might work just fine.

Dixiejack

Bearcat
contender said:
I do believe it would work and be safe. To be sure,,, why not contact someone like Hamilton Bowen & ask that question.

Very sage advice, contender.

ChiefTJS said:
.38 Super being semi rimmed will fit a lot of .357 chambers just fine. I'd give it a try before I went to the trouble of machining a cylinder. Nope, I don't advocate it , endorse it or recommend it in any way but just saying it might work just fine.

Thanks ChiefTJS for responding. I definitely would not jump on the project before talking to a quaified pistolsmith. I'm looking into the advice stage right now.

DGW1949

Hunter
Once upon a time, I was given a box of Remington (factory) .38 Super (AKA .38ACP +P) ammo. I shot it all up using my OM .357 BH...no misfires, no split cases, no extraction problems, no ill effects what so ever.

Not recommending anyone else do that...just sayin' that I've done it, and wouldn't hesitate to do so again.

DGW

s4s4u

Hunter
DGW1949 said:
Once upon a time, I was given a box of Remington (factory) .38 Super (AKA .38ACP +P) ammo. I shot it all up using my OM .357 BH...no misfires, no split cases, no extraction problems, no ill effects what so ever.

Not recommending anyone else do that...just sayin' that I've done it, and wouldn't hesitate to do so again.

DGW

How was the accuracy?

DGW1949

Hunter
s4s4u said:
DGW1949 said:

DGW

How was the accuracy?

Accuracy?...Good enough to bounce some cans around, which is about as good as ANY Remington FMJ seems to get, regardless of caliber. :wink: .

DGW

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I think a 9mm chamber is too big in diameter to ream to a .38 super. I know you can not ream a 9mm to 38 special because of the base diameter difference.