blackhawk case question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

870ExpressMag

Bearcat
I just recieved a new model blackhawk in 30carbine from a really good friend before he passed...it is in great shape....he always kept his guns really clean and i even cleaned it before firing it..making sure cylinders and barrel were clean and dry....i took it out and fired 6 rounds of aguila 30carbine through it...3 cases ejected..3 did not...so i took the cylinder out and used a wooden dowel and tapped the cases out....everything looked ok in the cylinders..but the brass looked sorta sooty...i read that aguila is a little under powered...would it be underpowered enough to not expand the brass and get gas blowback causing the cases to stick? or what else could be my problem? i took it to my gunsmith and he polished the cylinders...and got it to happen less often with my aguila ammo..he fired some reloads through it that were a little hotter and said it worked fine..so i am thinking ammo?

jgt

Buckeye
your ammo is not powerfull enough to cause the case to properly seal the gas blow by in the cylinder. shoot hotter loads and the problem will go away.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I think you are correct. That revolver was designed to utilize the "tons" of Mil-Surp ammo on the market back in the mid/late '60's.

flatgate

870ExpressMag

Bearcat
whats a good ammo sold now that would be ok? i have tons of aguila but i can buy different ammo if it makes the problem go away....i do reload but havn't started to yet for the carbine

Well
Welcome to the world of 30 carbine.
My mil. surplus rounds of 30 also stick reallllllllllllllll bad
They stick because the mil rounds are hot. Light ones do not stick because they don't expand the brass. Dirty blow back will not make a case stick. If that was the case all the CAS 45 Colt loads would stick
I also shoot 32 H&R mag out of mine and they fall out.
Jim

870ExpressMag

Bearcat
Wyandot Jim":1l673yd8 said:
Well
They stick because the mil rounds are hot. Light ones do not stick because they don't expand the brass. Dirty blow back will not make a case stick. If that was the case all the CAS 45 Colt loads would stick
Jim

so that would be the opposite of what i was thinking...and what i had previously read about aguila being under powered...they are definately getting gas blowback

870ExpressMag":2hd1ax0h said:
Wyandot Jim":2hd1ax0h said:
Well
Jim

so that would be the opposite of what i was thinking...and what i had previously read about aguila being under powered...they are definately getting gas blowback

Think about it. How much gunk would need to blow back to get a case to stick soooooooooo bad that the ejector rod will not knock it out. My 45 Colts come out black what color are your 30s?
That would be a whole lot of grunge IMHO.
Jim

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
I gotta agree with Jim.

All my .45 Colt brass comes out sooty, even the hot stuff. Ive shot a handful of boxes of the 110 grain Aguila ammo through my Blackhawk .30 Carbine and it comes out sooty too. Shoots plenty flat but I dont know how fast as I havent chronoed it yet.

Ive never had to drop the cylinder and tap the cases out with a dowel as the ejector rod handles them just fine. They just come out sooty from the case mouth to about halfway back the case body.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Rough chamber walls causing the brass to stick worse than usual?

Too much oil in the chambers? I've heard of this being a problem in big bore stuff, like .454. They have to be run very dry.

Just a couple of thoughts.

-- Sam