Blackhawk barrel turned down?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Nard

Bearcat
What should I expect to pay to have the warning label on a Blackhawk barrel removed by a smith? I was thinking about a new front sight too any sugestions, it's a 4-5/8" and blued. I have added a Bisley hammer and trigger, just waiting on a Bisley frame and grips.

J.B.

Nard, well it all depends on if you want the logo removed, buffed and polished and just the barrel 'reblued" after the new front sight is installed, OR if you want a custom, 'mill & slot' the sight body, and put in a 'replaceable blade' OR all the work done, new sight soldered on ,buff out the 'logo' and again, either blue just the barrel to match ( blend in the solder, polish job or the entire gun ,buffed and polished to match...but you say you are waiting for new Bisley frame??? now is that going to 'line up'( bolt on ) or have to be recut in the rear to match the shoulders ( the cylinder frame to the Bisley frame...there were changes over the years..........
bottom line, a 'smith' would have to see just what the job will entail, and what YOU want , and how YOU want it to end up............
blue jobs are like $125-138
pull the barrel and replace is like $65
resolder a front sight $50-65 (plus reblue the barrel OR the gun...?
polish out the logo and include the reblue, AFTER the barrel is pulled $50-60
get ALL the work done at ONE time ( the same time) will save you a bunch.

and so on...........depends what and who is going to do the job......now if it was stainless, YOU could polish out the 'warning' all by your self, NO Charge.

call or get some estimates, BOTH of the time involved, as well as ALL the costs, and remember shipping BOTH ways...it ALL "adds up".......
(prices are subjective,last time we ran our shop, before we retired.......)
Brownells has a pricing /cost reference in the parts catalog ( at least they used to.....)

Nard

Bearcat
The Bisley frame is a factory Ruger piece. I would like to have the barrel removed and turned down to remove the warning then have just the barrel blued to match. As far as a sight I may go back with a factory one, the sight on it now has been cut down at some point in time. When and "if" I ever get done with it I'll post some pictures.

J.B.

az6gun

Bearcat
Nard, My Smith here in AZ has done a couple for me. Last one was about 2yrs ago, The Bisley 7 1/2" cut to 4 5/8" remove warning, reblue barrel and install my supplied sight for $100. It can take up two months.
1207081.jpg

Dave Van Horn

Voice: (480) 892-9630

Fax: (480) 632-7553

Email: [email protected]

REP1954

Blackhawk
Nard, I dont think you really want to turn your whole barrel down because if you turn your barrel down your ejector rod housing will no longer seat correctly. It fits into the cylinder frame and will not make contact again until the very front by the screw. Unless you have a custom ej housing made you could be fighting a constant problem of keeping the housing from coming loose all the time. The billboard can be polished off and the barrel reblued with almost no detection of having been done. I have done this many times over the years. Another thing is that the rolled engraving isnt as deep as it looks because alot of it's depth is raised above the surface. I dont like the warning but I have left it there sometimes with just removing the raised burr and then reblued the barrel.

azrugershooter

Single-Sixer
I just removed the warning on a 10 1/2 SBH I'm refinishing. It took a couple nights of careful (careful to not end up with a low spot) sanding. But it turned out great.

DSCF1334.jpg

Nard

Bearcat
az6gun, the front sight on your 3 screw looks cool, what is it? I have seen a few post on polishing off the warning but I'm afraid I'd screw it up. What do you do use strips of diffrent grade sandpaper and go at it?

J.B.

azrugershooter

Single-Sixer
I started with 240 grit and went 320,400,600,800,1000,1200,1500,2500. It was more than likely over kill using that many different grits but it turned out great. In reality the grits above 800 aren't really necessary if you are looking to have a stock type finish when reblued. I'm going for a very polished finish so I went with the higher grits.

REP1954

Blackhawk
Thats a lot of sanding. I start with a fine file and then go to 180 grit emery and step up to 320 and let it wear a bit to match factory finish.

azrugershooter

Single-Sixer
REP1954":3jmd6ed1 said:
Thats a lot of sanding. I start with a fine file and then go to 180 grit emery and step up to 320 and let it wear a bit to match factory finish.

Well like I said I was looking to have a very polished blued finish when everything was done.

REP1954

Blackhawk
azrugershooter":1381jdpj said:
REP1954":1381jdpj said:

Well like I said I was looking to have a very polished blued finish when everything was done.
I know you were going for a higher finish, I just wanted to point out what it would take to match a stock finish. I cant wait to see pictures of your gun when it's done a hand polished gun has it all over a wheel buffed gun.