Blackhawk aftermarket convertible

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Scott

Single-Sixer
I'm moving this discussion from the classified section 'cause there was several posts about the ability/cost/wisdom/etc. of having Ruger make an extra cylinder for a blackhawk to turn it into a convertible. I'm interested in this because I'd like to have a SS 4 5/8" in .45/.45ACP but they are apparently rare as hen's teeth (i.e. out of my budget).

Would this be blasphemy in the eyes of the collectors? I think it could be done for same or less money than buying an original convertible? Any other thoughts/comments?

Scott

Single-Sixer
Wow! Thanks for the link, slowrider - don't want to start a war that's already been beat to death. I understand original vs. modified; that's why I keep my old Oldsmobile completely stock. I really just want a .45SS blackhawk that I can shoot a lot without spending a couple bucks per bang, so would like a .45ACP cylinder to go with it.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
Go for it.... you wouldn't be modifying the gun and if you sell, make sure that it's plain that the ACP cyl is NOT original to the gun....

contender

Ruger Guru
Since I'm not sure of the things said in the classifieds section,, it appears all you want is a gun to shoot 45 ACP ammo in your 45 Colt. Your reasons are to save $$$ on ammo.
So,, my questions are; do you reload? If not,, why not? Reloading can save you a lot of $$ per shot,, and you can use lighter loads in your 45 Colt cylinder. If you do reload,, why would you need to worry about the expenses of shooting when the costs of reloads for 45 Colt & ACP ammo are very close?
An extra cylinder done by Ruger will cost you a fair penny,, and that $$ could be spent on reloading supplies. (A good friend just recently bought 1000 45 ACP cases, 1000 primers, 1000 bullets, and a pound of powder for a total of $230. He used my loader & now has 1000 loaded rounds. Next time it will only cost him $170 for the ammo as he will already have the brass!)

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I added a 45acp cylinder to my Vaquero. Ruger would not do that for me as it was never offered that way from the factory.

I wanted 45acp because I already had a lot of reloading components. The gun would be called on to do some self defense and there is a lot better selection for factory self defense rounds in 45 acp. From what I have seen, if you don't live some place where there is a SASS club, it is easier to find 45 acp ammo on the shelf than 45 colt. Used to be you could buy 45 lead round nose bullets fairly cheap at gun shows for stocking up on reloading supplies. Maybe there are more 250 or 255 grain bullets out there now.

If you want one why not have it done. I've seen copies of Shelby Cobras and GT350/500 mustangs :)

Here is my Vaquero in 45LC/45ACP.
IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1011-1.jpg

Dale53

Blackhawk
Scott;
I recently bought a Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible. If you cannot buy what you want, then have it done. This is a thoroughly practical combination (and I both cast all my own bullets AND reload).

Frankly, worrying about what some "collector" might think after you are dead and gone is irrelevant. I do not run around destroying national treasures. But after all a gun (as much as I love them) it just a tool (and as things go, not a very expensive one). So, please yourself. Just have any work done in a professional manner. I cannot abide bad workmanship but if it is done well you'll have a smile on your face for years.

Good luck!

Dale53

DGW1949

Hunter
I don't know if Ruger will fit a 45ACP cyl to your gun or not. If it's the "not", finding a cylinder that can be made to work in your existing 45LC gun will be the hard part. Total cost will depend on who does the fitting.
I created a 357/9MM convertable out of an old 3-Screw 357 BH a couple of months ago. Total cost was about $130. If I'd had it done, I suspect it would have been another $100 or so.

That's all I know about that.

DGW

Scott

Single-Sixer
I emailed Ruger and their prompt response was; $95.00 cylinder, $50 labor, $30 return shipping. Just said to make sure and include a letter stating what I wanted to have done. Sounds like it's no problem, at least at this time. So...a couple hundred bucks on top of the new gun; I guess anything's doable if ya got the cash.

Redstick

Single-Sixer
Scott":6sikve74 said:
I emailed Ruger and their prompt response was; $95.00 cylinder, $50 labor, $30 return shipping. Just said to make sure and include a letter stating what I wanted to have done. Sounds like it's no problem, at least at this time. So...a couple hundred bucks on top of the new gun; I guess anything's doable if ya got the cash.

WHAT A BARGAIN!!! Just price what it'd cost from a Custom Smith!! You cain't beat Ruger's Customer Service!