blackhawk 45lc/45acp

Help Support Ruger Forum:

john123456

Bearcat
just picked up a 51/2 in barrel 45lc with a 45acp cylinder also mostly new to single actions so whats your thoughts anybody else have one? how do they shoot with the extra option thanks for any info i know these are before buying questions but o well :D

dougader

Hunter
I have one in 4-5/8" and I really like it for both 45 Colt and 45 Auto but I use it mostly for 45 Colt that I handload. I like these Blackhawks, too, for their relatively light weight. I have Bisleys for the heavy loads but I keep lighter loads for the convertible.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I recently purchased a new Ruger SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45ACP convertible. I have mentioned it on here before. At any rate, after reaming both cylinders and having a trigger job done (also had the "free spin pawl" modification done) I now have an absolutely WONDERFUL shooting machine.

Both cylinders, with proper loads, give me well under 1" at 25 yards.

I find this an excellent concept. I will be shooting the ACP cylinder with light target loads and probably save the .45 Colts for standard to heavy Colt loads (with a cast 452424 bullet and the occasional Lee 300 gr C452-300-RF for a heavy load).

I would slug the cylinders immediately and if they are undersize (that seems the norm nowadays) send the cylinders off to cylindersmith.com for reaming. His charges are quite reasonable and turn around is quick.

I shoot NOTHING but cast bullets in mine.

Dale53

TDF

Single-Sixer
Mine is also in 4-5/8's. I stole the bisley items off a 44 and converted it. Then I sold the acp cylinder on this site for $75. Never could find much use for it. I've got 1911's and a S&W 1917 if I want to shoot acp. I usually run 300 gr's through the Colt at about 900 to 1000 fps. Great fun. Lotsa power, but managable recoil and muzzle blast. One of my favorite handguns.

TDF

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
I have the 5 1/2. a very accurate, inexpensive, high quality, fun gun to shoot.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I have a 5 1/2 Bisley convertible. Great gun, fun to shoot both 45acp and colt. Somehow I managed to luck into the fact that my handloads in both calibers shoot to the same point, and pretty damn accurately too. Can't beat that.

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
Have a 4 5/8" model, one look at those big holes in the cylinder and the short barrel in the gun case and it was mine. Replaced those ugly new factory grips, enjoy shooting it.

gifford

Bearcat
I got mine last July and really like the combination of 45acp and 45colt. Mine has a 7.5 inch barrel about 1980 or so vintage. It has Pacs now, but will be getting some nicer grips this spring. 45acp load is 200 grain LRNFP with six grains of Unique; 45colt load is 250 grain LRNFP with 8 grains of Unique. The unusual part was the rear sight had to raised way up there to keep the bullet holes in the black.

Scott

Single-Sixer
Magnum - I'm also looking for the stainless, 4 5/8, .45LC/.45ACP; Do you know what the model # was with Davidson's? Should be a KBN-44XL if they stuck with the same numbering system as the others? I'd be interested in any information available.

MagnumM56

Bearcat
The model no's are respectively KBN 44X and KBN 45X. In '92 Davidson's also released a 5 1/2' bbl version KBN 455X. I have this one which is about 1 of 53 made that I know of- very scarce indeed. If Ruger had any smarts whatsoever they would release these as a non catalogued item and sell out instantly-I think WMG has the 4 5/8 and 5 1/2 versions. Very nice revolvers indeed

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
Bought one of the Bisley convertibles, stainless with 5-1/2" barrel, several weeks back. Have been out on 3 different outings with it so far. Really like it, but still getting used to shooting it.

It's an accurate shooter...just working on getting consistent grouping right now. I'm sure it's my consistency in technique that's the factor...practice makes perfect.

Regards,

MD

nhlever

Bearcat
I bought a 4 5/8" convertable last fall, but it's been back at Ruger's for the past couple of months now. Hope they haven't lost it, or something.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I also like the 4 5/8" I have 2 in 45 colt one is the convertable the other is not. I have never installed the acp cylinder in my gun but like the idea of the convertable. I have 3 the 357 and a single six and the 45. The 357 is the only one I have used the cylinder with it comes with the 9mm extra cylinder. I like the 9mm and 38's and 357 convertable my gun shoots great with all 3 but you have to adjust the sight for the 9mm. Not much difference but a little. I don't do target shooting just informal plinking mostly. I like the 4 5/8" and have everything ruger makes in that bbl length and have altered several that they dont.One is a 30 carbine ruger only offers it in 7 1/2 but I have a 4 5/8" one now it's a great little shooter and should be offered in the 4 5/8 in my opinion. I have a 4 5/8 44 mag that ruger makes but have also cut down a 7 1/2" to 4 5/8 with the square backed gripframe. For some reason I shoot the shorter bbl's better. I don't know if it's my eyesight or what but the 4 5/8 works better for me than the 7 1/2" guns.