Blackhawk 45 or Redhawk 45?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1blkhwk

Bearcat
I know I want one or the other in 45 with the 4" or 4 5/8" barrel. I'm looking for one to shoot warmer than standard Colt loads in.

I like them both but will only get one. I have holsters for the Blackhawk so I'm a bit more in favor of that but the swing out cylinder of the Redhawk is going to facilitate reloading.

thanks for all opinions.

:)

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Get both :lol:

Seriously, I carry the 4 5/8 blackhawk a good amout in the summer while hiking and that advantage with that gun is it is light. The shortest Redhawk I have is the 5.5-inch 45 Colt and that gun is very heavy compared to the Blackhawk. I plan to carry that Redhawk deer hunting this fall.

The Blackhawk will also be much cheaper and you can find used ones for what I would consider to be cheap prices. Redhawks, well you don't see many of the 4-inch 45 Colt Redhawks used and when you do the are almost as expensive as the new ones. I figure given how hard they are to find used, people that have them must really like them. I know I want to add a 4-in Redhawk in 45 Colt to my collection at some point when/if I have money again to spend on more handguns.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Quarterbore":ygfjiqjf said:
Seriously, I carry the 4 5/8 blackhawk a good amout in the summer while hiking and that advantage with that gun is it is light. The shortest Redhawk I have is the 5.5-inch 45 Colt and that gun is very heavy compared to the Blackhawk. I plan to carry that Redhawk deer hunting this fall.

The Blackhawk is lighter and single-action. The Redhawk is a double-action revolver and is much heavier but can accept much heavier (more powerful) loadings with acceptable recoil.
You should handle both side-by-side; then choose.
For ordinary deer/black bear, I would do the Blackhawk.
For Alaska carry, the Redhawk. IMHO

Sonnytoo

7p's

Single-Sixer
I went with the 4-5/8 Blackhawk, as it's very easy to carry and shoots well. As far as the Redhawk accepting heavier loads - the new model blackhawk sends a 310 grain Keith down range at 1,250fps. If you need more - go to a 50 Linebaugh or JRH.

Either would serve you well. If you want to step it up the Buffalo Bore loads are fairly stout but will get most any job done. More pleasant to shoot out of a Redhawk. I prefer the Blackhawk in Stainless due to the stainless grip vs the aluminum one. Little too much muzzle flip with the aluminum grip and stout loads.

oldgoat46

Bearcat
Bear Paw Jack nailed it. I have a Redhawk 4" in 45 LC and the main reason I bought it was I go fishing once a year in big bear country. the Redhawk is double action and as has been said will handle the stoutest loads going. I load up with buffalo bore 325 grain 1355 fps. the Black hawk might not take much of that. plus the time element with a single action. I like the single actions, but for your own defense the Red hawk is the right choice.

dougader

Hunter
I went with the Ruger Alaskan in 454. Double action, will handle anything you want power-wise from heavy 45 Colt up to full-tilt 454's and weighs about 2 ounces less compared to the 4" Redhawk.

Otherwise, I'd go with the 5.5" Bisley in 45 Colt. In my hands, the Bisley frame handles recoil better than any other.

maxpress

Buckeye
i carry the blackhawk because its lighter and more compact as has been stated.
i shoot the blackhawk because my accuracy is much higher than with the redhawk.
i also like to carry my .44 vaquero which is just a trimmed up blackhawk

1blkhwk

Bearcat
Y'all, thanks for the answers and opinions. It was what I was looking for.

I have decided (unless a nice Blackhawk pops up) that I'm just going to stick with my new model Vaqureo for 45. That way I don't get loads mixed up for it. I can load it to 850 or my standard load at 750 fps and just have fun.
If I need more power I'll switch to my stainless SBH 4 5/8. I can hunt with it too.

I'm just afraid I'll wear out the nm Vaqero. (joke) ha ha Its shot at least 3 times a week and 24 rounds each time just for fun.