Blackhawk 45 ACP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LAH

Buckeye
I have a BH Liberty Model I purchased used in 1976. I knew the owner & he didn't like the short barrel. I've used this sixgun over the years as a blaster & carry gun both in the field & for CCW. If you are a new shooter raising a family & cannot afford a nice custom S/A I would suggest one of these. Many thousand rounds I've had the pleasure of firing in this platform & you could have the same enjoyment without paying one of the custom makers to build you one. My Ruger isn't as nice or as well fitted as one of the customs but it has provided years of service without fail. But this isn't about the gun, it's about a bullet.
The Sixgun

I purchased a Lyman mould from someone on the Cast Boolit Board mainly for my own use. The mould is marked 452374FX. This should be the standard 45 caliber 225 RN lead bullet.
The Mould

After cleaning the mould & installing a set of handles the lead alloy was melted, mould preheated & the casting began. The bullets fell from the mould easily & looked pretty good.
The Bullet

The surprise came while weighing & measuring these. First the samples I thought would be .452-.453 were in fact .457. I checked my measuring device to be sure it was zeroed & sure enough it was. Then I measured several more bullets & sure enough they were .457.

Next to the scales & the weight was 212 grains. They didn't vary over +/- .2 grains with most way less than that. Still I'm shaking my head. The bullet should have been 225 to maybe 230 grains & much smaller in diameter. I decided to size these .454 & try them in my Blackhawk which has large throats. The bullets fit the little sixgun perfectly.
Sized & Lubed

Back a few years ago looking for some bulk powder to use in most my handguns & found Promo on sale at Powder Valley for 68.00/8lb. I ordered 3 jugs of the stuff along with a couple sleeves of primers which also were on sale. Promo can be used anywhere Red Dot is used. Load it weight for weight not bulk for bulk. I chose 5 grains as a starting point & primed the Winchester brass with Tula LP primers.

Loaded these on a 550 Dillon

At the range I fired these rapidly at 7 yards offhand. Not bad for a somewhat oddball bullet & beat up Ruger. The lube was LBT Blue & the load/alloy/size/lube left no lead behind. This bullet is hard to test accurately but best I could tell they were 9BHN. To my pleasant surprise they also worked well on the clay birds at 185 yards. They didn't shoot as well as the Keiths but on Zombie size targets, Match Point.

Rclark

Hunter
Nice! Yep, working man's sixguns :) . Haven't shot much .45 ACP lately in mine. I keep collecting more brass though! I shoot standard 250g RNFP in mine rather than the lighter bullets when I do load/shoot .45 ACP.

Under a 200g TC, I liked 4.5g of Red Dot (936fps) . Have it marked as accurate. 5.0g was 968fps. All shot out of 5 1/2" barrel medium frame BH.

Nice mold.

LAH

Buckeye
I have a heavier round flat bullet but haven't used it in the ACP case.

DSC03338.jpg

Rclark

Hunter
Here is target I shot yesterday off-hand at 25Y with the 200 TC bullets with 5g Bullseye. Didn't have a box with of the Red Dot .45ACP load, but it is just as accurate. Shot with 'untuned' (other than chambers reamed) SS FT BH (medium frame convertible) .

TaragetSummer2013_div2_45ACP_SSBHFT_offhand_zps3cfa21b8.jpg

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
Hi Lynn, glad it works for you. We do get some strange molds sometimes. I never had much luck with 45 ACP in my conv Ruger, shoots 45 Colt much better.

LAH

Buckeye
Howdy neighbor to the north. I loaded these with no hope for accuracy & was surprised but this isn't target grade by any stretch. If you like to try some of these I'll launch some your way, no charge.

Jim Puke

Hunter
Rclark said:
Here is target I shot yesterday off-hand at 25Y with the 200 TC bullets with 5g Bullseye. Didn't have a box with of the Red Dot .45ACP load, but it is just as accurate. Shot with 'untuned' (other than chambers reamed) SS FT BH (medium frame convertible) .

TaragetSummer2013_div2_45ACP_SSBHFT_offhand_zps3cfa21b8.jpg

That is some good off-hand shooting.