Blackhawk 44 special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Recently I received a new Blackhawk 44 special as a gift. I have shot it @ 20 times. Some troubles are beginning to show up. The cylinder pin retaining pin and spring seems to loosen up when shooting light loads. Then the cylinder pin slides forward and the action ties up. Have any of you had this problem with this gun? Is this something I can take care of myself or is it a trip back to the factory? I have disassembled and reassembled my 1974 Black hawk several times (sucessfully); but I know this action with the lock and different indexing of cylinder is different.
Thanks,
KRuger

c.r.

Single-Sixer
it is common for the "retaining pin and spring" assembly to loosen up. once it starts you either have to keep an eye on it and tighten it every so often......or.......you can use a little teflon tape or apply some BLUE loctite to stop it from loosening

hope that makes sense

~c.r.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I'd suggest a close inspection. Is the base pin latch fully "locking" or is it not quite seated all the way? Occasionally the fit isn't quite right and a few strokes with a round file does the trick.

Plan B: Obtain a stronger Base Pin Latch Spring from Brownell's/Midway, etc.

Plan C: Skip the above and order a Belt Mountain Base Pin and never worry about this situation again.

flatgate

Thanks for the replies. I'll try tightening the latch spring and checking the fit of the latch. It may be awhile before I can shoot it for a real check. Perhaps I'll order a new spring "just in case". I received a new Midway catalog yesterday.
KRuger

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
A common problem with the hard kickers. A little surprising on a 44 special gun. I had a problem with a 44 Bisley cylinder base pin jumping out. It required, like Flatgate said, careful inspection and touching-up the base pin and latch pin with a file to improve the fit. I also used 'Blue Loctite' and a spanner bit to tighten the latch pin nut. :shock: :shock:

...Jimbo

flatgate

Hawkeye
Instead of loctite I'd suggest a piece of monofilament fishing line. Stuff a piece inside of the "nut" and install. Trim the excess with a small flame from a cigarette lighter, etc.

JMHO,

flatgate

Latest posts