Blackhawk .41 mag 3-screw, 3 digit serial # trade value?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Twelve22

Bearcat
Hey everyone, I'm way out of my element here, hoping to get some advice on a recent spur of the moment purchase. I just got a .41 mag Blackhawk, 3 screw, 3 digit serial number. It appears to be all original and does not have a transfer bar. It's definitely a shooter, with some marks on the end of the barrel and a cylinder line, but mechanically seems very sweet. I'm not a collector by any means, and am going to trade it for another gun eventually, but I have no idea what it would be worth. Honestly, everything I know about this gun is what I googled over the last couple days, and I realized I'm in over my head with this one.

Thanks in advance!

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the Forum.

Search completed auctions on sites like GunBroker.com

Twelve22

Bearcat
image.jpg4_zps52nkkexd.jpg

mtngun15

Bearcat
I own sn# 18xx and would not even think about selling it for
less than $550.00, with no box or papers.
Yours should be would alot more.
Good Luck
Dennis

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
You have a shooter grade gun. Albeit a 3 digit one. Those of us who collect,,, we prefer to pay a premium ONLY for nice examples. Not for shooter grade guns.
I just picked up another 41 mag today for my use. It's a 4 digit,,, shooter grade. I also got almost 150 rounds of ammo, about 100 or so empty brass cases, and a set of reloading dies. I gave $600 for all of it.

Now,,, a 3 digit gun COULD be worth a bit more to the right collector. But the condition is still very important. A collector who has a consecutive gun to yours,,, MIGHT want to buy yours to make up a pair. You'd have to disclose the number to get any potential interest. Or at least the first 2 digits to get some of us to consider it.

Twelve22

Bearcat
Thanks for the help so far guys! The serial number is 970. I'm going to be putting it up for sale/trade and I didn't want to over or under value it by too much if I can help it. I assumed the serial number and not having the safety conversion were good, but I wasn't sure how much the condition would take off the price. It's definitely a shooter, but after looking the gun over tonight I realize I could've taken some more flattering pictures! The bluing issues on the left side of the barrel are the worst, but still don't look too bad in person.

hittman

Staff member
I'm no lover of single actions .... but .... I do appreciate the .41 Magnum caliber and 3-digit guns are just plain special; regardless of condition. If it were mine, I'd keep it and shoot it.

Of course, I could be persuaded to consider it should it hit the Classified section here too! :lol: