Blackhawk 3 screw

Help Support Ruger Forum:

e606

Bearcat
I went to the gun shop to order a 50th anniversary flat top 357, but when I got there the dealer had a 3 screw blackhawk, serial # 42xxx. I think this was produced in 1962. I went ahead and bought that for $350 otd. There is just a smidge of bluing missing at the front on the muzzle end but the rest looks pretty damn good. One thing, the pin that you pull to remove the cylinder is sure tight. It took me a few minutes to pull out.
Anyway, I am pleased with my acquisition and look forward to learning more about the Blackhawk from this board. P.S. It also came with a nice leather holster, just need a belt.
P.S.S. I also picked up a Redhawk in a trade. Looks like a 1989 date

e606

Bearcat
I am too new for that question. What does converted, unconverted mean

BlkHawk73

Hunter
e606":2k1pu70q said:
I am too new for that question. What does converted, unconverted mean

Pull back the hammer, is there a thin bar (transfer bar)? If so, it's had the conversion.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Let's back up here. First question should be is the top strap, i.e. the part of the cylinder frame that is above the cylinder FLAT on top or does it have some extra material up along both sides of the rear sight?

Converted or not? That means does the gun have it's original lockwork or is there a "transfer bar" visible when you pull the hammer back? It's a stamped piece of steel. The hammer's front side will be "stepped" if a transfer bar is present but basically flat if the original lockwork is present.
(On a real "collector's item" it's presence doesn't mean a darn thing. Many folks focus on that but, to me, it's quite trivial.)

One more question, if you please? Remove the grips, whatever they are, and look for markings on the grip area. Either XR-3 or XR3-RED may be there.

Of course, detailed images are certainly welcome!

flatgate

e606

Bearcat
I wont be able to post pictures until I find my DAMN camera.
It is flat on top, unconverted and on the handle it shows - XR3

Well,
Ya might have got lucky. If it is a protected sight model.
Need more info full S/N would help.
Does the sight have the MICRO name on it? It probably has the small serial numbers on it.
Could be 1 of 300 made. Without all the info can't tell ya.

SBH4628

Blackhawk
e606":20xpptfm said:
It does have the micro name on it but I don't see a serial #.
I think he means small serial numbers on the gun,With a micro sight.
Please note...An old model flattop on this forum is like you just found
a pot of gold. :D Sooooo Do you have any pics :shock:

e606

Bearcat
Ruger357005.jpg

Ruger357004.jpg

Ruger357003.jpg

Ruger357002.jpg

Ruger357001.jpg

Latest posts