Black powder old army. What's the appeal?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

George

Blackhawk
Hello been shooting Firearms many years modern Firearms that is. Have kind of got a little itch to get a black powder old army. What is the big draw to these guns over modern Firearms as far as fun fact of shooting and so on! Never shot a black powder gun. I like the bigger bore calibers in smokeless powder modern firearms 45 ACP, 44 Magnum and I think my new favorite is 45 Colt particularly shot in the larger frame ruger's! Just trying to get a little input and see if there's a real good reason to Tickle My Fancy with a old army black powder! I do a little reload myself if that helps at all! Thank you for any input! George

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
They can be scary accurate with .457 balls or bullets (as in quart soda cups at 100 yards from a seated backrest position). They are very well made. The process of loading and capping makes you appreciate every shot. If you are a history junkie like me there is the whole historical angel. Also it is really cool to have a gun with a loading press built in.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I load 40 grs with mine. These Rugers are very accurate. Between these revolvers and the 77/50 rifles, gives another reason to go shoot. And extended hunting seasons. I apply for the Managed Deer hunts in Missouri. Conservation areas offer excellent hunting.

Rclark

Hunter
Appeal? That is easy. Shooting black powder (or substitutes) is fun and historical. At least some of us think so! The ROA is probably the most durable BP revolver ever built. The loading process gives one an appreciation for those back in the 1800s. If you are a bangity-bang-bang-bang type of guy, then BP shooting isn't for you. Need some patience to leisurely load all six. Then shoot and do all over again. Then there is the 'mandatory' cleanup afterword when you get home. No putting off tomorrow what you have to do today! Not hard, but does take some time. Again, it just gives you an appreciation for those guys back in the percussion era and it is fun to generate some smoke! When the gun goes off and if the wind isn't blowing, you wait a few seconds to see if you 'hit' your target. I don't shoot BP every weekend, but at least a few times a year.

The Norseman

Blackhawk
It's a Ruger Black Powder Revolver!
Their just a neat, cool Revolver.
There's several versions out there.
Their a very deadly weapon.
That .457 ball can be pushed to 1000fps.
There's No Safety Transfer Bar System.
There's an Adjustable Rear Sight.
Their Accurate.
Their easy to take apart.
Their Easy to Clean.
You can get a 45Colt Cylinder for it.
You can send them through the mail
to your home.

Good question about Ruger's Famous Black Powder Revolver!

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
It's the smell. Nothing smells quite like real BP. Mildly addictive. :wink:

Be aware that it's not a inexpensive hobby. Track of the Wolf can supply you with all the gear you'll need. https://www.trackofthewolf.com/ . Best to hook up with somebody who's a BP shooter and can advise you on many questions you'll have.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
daveg.inkc said:
I load 40 grs with mine. These Rugers are very accurate. Between these revolvers and the 77/50 rifles, gives another reason to go shoot. And extended hunting seasons. I apply for the Managed Deer hunts in Missouri. Conservation areas offer excellent hunting.

He may not be aware that is 40gr by volume, not by weight. That's something that can get new BP shooters in a lot of trouble. :)

daveg.inkc

Hunter
George said:
Hello been shooting Firearms many years modern Firearms that is. Have kind of got a little itch to get a black powder old army. What is the big draw to these guns over modern Firearms as far as fun fact of shooting and so on! Never shot a black powder gun. I like the bigger bore calibers in smokeless powder modern firearms 45 ACP, 44 Magnum and I think my new favorite is 45 Colt particularly shot in the larger frame ruger's! Just trying to get a little input and see if there's a real good reason to Tickle My Fancy with a old army black powder! I do a little reload myself if that helps at all! Thank you for any input! George
George, find RL Wilson's book. "Ruger and His Guns". Interesting reading how the Old Army was developed. Especially how Bill Ruger checked the strength of this revolver.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
GunnyGene said:
daveg.inkc said:

He may not be aware that is 40gr by volume, not by weight. That's something that can get new BP shooters in a lot of trouble. :)

How does one determine 40 grs. by volume?

All my understanding is that "grains" is a unit of weight. "Cubic xx" is a measure for volume.

Bob Wright

Rclark

Hunter
Bob, in BP you have a volumetric measure for the powder. No matter what type of powder (substitute or real BP) you always measure by volume. See here for a concise explaination:

Post #3 gives you an explanation: HighRoad.org Newbie Question by volume

Here is a simple powder measure :

A1204.JPG

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Bob Wright said:
GunnyGene said:
daveg.inkc said:

How does one determine 40 grs. by volume?

All my understanding is that "grains" is a unit of weight. "Cubic xx" is a measure for volume.

Bob Wright

You must have a black powder measure, aka "charger". Many are fixed at a specific volume, others are adjustable. Some powder horns have a spout that will measure out a specific volume. The charger I have will measure up to 30grn, which is the max load for my .44 Colt repro. (shown below)

Charger:

6hL3uMu.jpg

Other necessaries:

Powder flask
Caps
Nipple wrench & pick
Capper (holds several caps and makes it easier to cap the nipples)
Wads (optional, but either these or grease patch/Crisco is required)
Round balls (.454 for my gun)
Loading stand (made my own next to the can of BP (FFg). Optional, but makes loading easier unless you have 3 hands.

4V21W0b.jpg

daveg.inkc

Hunter
In RL Wilson's book, " Ruger & His Guns", Harry Sefried tells how Old Army was tested. Page 126. Nipples were opened, cylinders filled with Bullseye and fired. They tried to blow the cylinders. Sounds like a real Ruger to me!

Rclark

Hunter
You must have a black powder measure, aka "charger".
Actually I use a Lee dipper with just the right volume of 40g. For the range it works great to have a open top container and just dip out the BP. I like Triple 7. Put some cream of wheat on top with another dipper for wad and press the .457 ball home. No grease.

An old army does not have as much appeal to me as a real gun does.
And these are 'real' guns. Don't believe it, check up on the Civil War, Texas rangers, Walker, Paterson, cowboys, Indians, police, etc. And used for hunting even today by 'real' hunters. Worked rather well I'd say :) .