Black Powder 357 Vaquero's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dillon Justice

Bearcat
Loaded up some black powder (substitute) rounds today with about 30% cream of wheat. 1st time adding the Cream of Wheat and couldn't tell a difference. Surprised! Maybe a little less smoke. Glad because I only have 1 lb of APP FFF left and I can't find it anywhere. That should stretch it as I only used 11.5 grains of powder with 50 cc's of CoW in 38 spl and 158 gr LRNFP. I might try 50% and see if that reduces the smoke too much, after all smoke is half the fun.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
We're Happy that you're pleased with your results !

That said , I'm not totally comprehending what goal you're seeking here , could you further discuss with us what you are looking to do ?

Primarily extended your powder mileage , ie more loads per pound ?

Duplicate the performance of loads from back in the day that all powder was black powder ?

Something else ?:

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Given the smaller size of the 357 case compared to 45 colt, 44-40, 38-40, 44 mag, 44 special (and the weight of a Ruger Vaquero in 357), try a few full 357 cases of APP 3F and see how those rounds feel recoil and smoke-wise. As for finding APP, contact a local Cowboy Action Shooting club as I suspect they'll know where to get APP sub.

Dillon Justice

Bearcat
Given the smaller size of the 357 case compared to 45 colt, 44-40, 38-40, 44 mag, 44 special (and the weight of a Ruger Vaquero in 357), try a few full 357 cases of APP 3F and see how those rounds feel recoil and smoke-wise. As for finding APP, contact a local Cowboy Action Shooting club as I suspect they'll know where to get APP sub.
Been using full loads last 2 or 3 years. I just tried using Cream of Wheat for the 1st time for the heck of it. No one in my club has been able to get APP for a while. I'm sure I'd be happy with any Black substitute. Not looking for advice, just enjoyed trying new loads and shooting my Vaqueros. I finally got some small primers and felt like I could shoot just for the fun of it instead of only shooting at our monthly meet. Thanks
We're Happy that you're pleased with your results !

That said , I'm not totally comprehending what goal you're seeking here , could you further discuss with us what you are looking to do ?

Primarily extended your powder mileage , ie more loads per pound ?

Duplicate the performance of loads from back in the day that all powder was black powder ?

Something else ?

Dillon Justice

Bearcat
I've been using T-7 FF in my .45s. I suspect it won't matter much which you use. Might come down to what they have in stock :) .
Usually 777 is in stock. However I've only used APP the past 3 or so years that I've been shooting black. Wouldn't matter I'm sure I would enjoy any sub that's available.