BKH36X

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JohnW

Bearcat
Well, it has been good Old Model hunting in Missouri lately. Yesterday, my FIL went to a gun show in Sedalia. He called me in the afternoon, getting along toward closing time, wanting to know if I was interested in a BKH36X. After a bit of discussion, I let him go to make my offer. He came home with a gun that I am pretty happy with. Wasn't quite as good a deal as the BKH31 I snagged just before Christmas, but I figure OM convertibles don't come along every day, either. :)

It is a 31- prefix, and should be from 1972. It has "squashed chicken" grips, which I believe are correct for it. It came with an original manual, the original extra cylinder box & red felt bag, and a 9mm cylinder in pristine condition. I have not yet called to confirm that it shipped as a convertible, but the 9mm cylinder is numbered to the gun, so I think my chances are good that it will "letter." :wink:

It has suffered the indignity of being "converted" :roll: , but the important little bag of parts (still sealed from Ruger) is there to put it back right. It came with a box, but not the original, just the one it was shipped back in. Interestingly, it also came with the conversion "work order", with a date of 7/22/1983. It has spent much more of it's life converted than it has original. That will soon be corrected. Here's a shot of the "extras":
BKH36X_extras.jpg

And here's a couple shots of the Blackhawk itself.
BKH36X_01.jpg

BKH36X_02.jpg

Phew, I gotta work on my picture taking. I just realized how poor these photos are - too much flash, etc. Makes a ~98% gun with almost no wear at all look like it has been around the block. :? Tricky to do, though, inside, at night, with poor, artificial light. Maybe one of these days the weather will improve, and a few outside shots with natural, indirect light will be possible again.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Nice! If you look around a while you'll find a proper box, too!

Pics? I try to ALWAYS use a tripod. No direct light. I'll toss something on the floor and set the guns there. I'll place some boxes or ? between the guns and the windows to block direct light then use some white cardboard or styrofoam to reflect the outside light on the gun.

I think the key is to eliminate glare and "camera shake". I usually use the "timer" feature so I'm not touching the camera when the "shutter trips".

JMHO,

flatgate

Hey John,
Nice looking convertible.
When you convert it back would you look to see if the R is stamped in the frame? I had a convertible that was converted about the same time. NO R STAMPED in the frame.
Thanks,
Jiim

JohnW

Bearcat
Wyandot Jim":ltjg50kg said:
Hey John,
Nice looking convertible.
When you convert it back would you look to see if the R is stamped in the frame? I had a convertible that was converted about the same time. NO R STAMPED in the frame.
Thanks,
Jiim

Jim, the F-I-L and I put the original lockwork back in this one the evening before last. The "R" is stamped just where you would expect it. It is a relatively light stamp, but evenly struck.