bisley to standard grip frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1canvas

Bearcat
no matter what i do i can't keep the ruger single action triggerguard from beating my middle finger when i shoot heavy loads. so a few years ago i bought a blackhawk hunter with a bisley grip hoping that would help, it did but only a little. i tried to locate some rubber grips like hogue or pachmyers but they only make them for the standard grip. so my question is could i just change out the grip frame to use rubber grips? this .44 mag is a great hunting gun so i want to make it work.
i also thought of mana-porting.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
howdy 1canvas,

i don't think magna porting will help you. It's not the recoil that's causing the whacking of your middle finger, but instead your hand/grip doesn't get along with the gun.

it is possible to swap grip frames between guns, but they usually don't match up perfectly and require fitting. (the "ears" on the grip frame may be taller or shorter (worse case) than the back of the gun frame)

you might try using athletic tape and wrapping your finger where the trigger guard whacks it, or purchase one of those PAST shooting gloves and see if that helps ya.

Fortunately with my current grip, I don't have much problem with any of Ruger's grip frames hitting me. The bisley comes the closest. My experience shows me that when i choke up too high on the grip frames is when i get whacked.

not sure if any of that helps ya, but I hope you figure out something. It's no fun shooting a gun that hurts you.

~c.r.

The Hogue mono grip for the SBH will fit your SBHH. There is a little gap in back of the trigger guard but it dosn't get in the way.
I tried them and they work BUT to big for my hands and I just don't like rubber baby bumpers.
Take a look at some of our own grip makers here on the forum.
Caryc, Mag. 41, and sac peterson.
Eric

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
You could also try backing off on your load a bit. Don't know what you're hunting, but unless it's really big, mean, and nasty, you can probably take it down with something that won't "kill on both ends".

I know I much prefer shooting .44 Special level loads than .44 mag thumpers, at least for range "plinking"/punching paper.

-- Sam

contender

Ruger Guru
Another thought; Are you holding your SA revolver properly to allow the recoil & grip frame to work together & not allow it to hit your hand? A proper grip is paramount in any handgun shooting. And it has to do with the grip frame design, stock material & shape, and proper placement of your hands.
The SA grip frame is designed to allow the upward "roll" of the firearm as it recoils. If you are fighting this inertia too much, ( gripping too hard, or fighting it by trying to hold it down & control the recoil,) it will rap your knuckles. Sometime the change of grip frame design, (from Bisley to Std or vis-a-versa) fit's a person't hands much better than the other.
This is just a few thoughts from an NRA instructor who has seen it all too often.

1canvas

Bearcat
i had a few regular SA grip years ago on a SBH and had the same problem but worse no mater how tight or loose i held it . plus back then the back of the trigger guard was square. when i seen the SBHH with the round trigger guard and bisley grip i thought that would be the ticket. its no where as bad but it still there, no matter if i hold tight or let it roll.
i went back and forth between SBH and S&W for years. i have had way to much trouble with S&W, mostly flash gap/timing with about 6-8 of them. the rugers i love but the grips of a SA don't work for me. i will probably switch out the grip frame and put either pachmayers or hogues on.

contender

Ruger Guru
It's not always how tight you hold but the method of holding it too. Try this;
Pick up your gun with your dominate hand, and grip it in the position of making a fist. Of course, keep the trigger finger outside the trigger guard until you are ready to pull the trigger. Lay it alongside the grip frame. Next, place the heel of the "weak" hand into the space created between the tips of the fingers & heel of your other hand. Wrap your weak hand thumb over the top of the strong hand thumb. Wrap your weak hand fingers around the front of your other hand, overlapping your other fingers. That should put your weak hand index finger directly under the trigger guard. If your hands are larger than the grip frame, allow the strong hand pinky to go under the bottom of the grip frame.
Next, grip pressure;
Approximately 30% of the grip pressure should be in your strong hand, and 70% in your weak hand. That will help control the recoil better, and allow the ease of pulling the trigger correctly a snap.
I hope this helps some!

flatgate

Hawkeye
I wear Past shooting gloves when shooting the "hardenkickerloudenboomers". They don't necessarily reduce any recoil but they do keep the gun from sliding around in my paws.

Contenders "gripping" suggestion is a good one.

101101443.jpg

Here I'm shooting at a distant rock on a mountain side. XR3-RED gripped .44 Flattop, 280 grain bullets at around 1000 fps. And, YES, I'm a southpaw.....

flatgate