Bisley Super Blackhawk SS 5.5"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bigskyguy

Single-Sixer
I'm kinda in the hunt for another Blackhawk and was wondering if Ruger ever made a 5.5" SS Bisley in 44 Mag.

I've searched on Gunbroker to no avail. The only stainless 44 Mag Bisleys that I can find are either 7.5" or the new 3.25" guns...too long, and too short for my needs. I see the 44 Specials in 5.5" Bisley, but no 44 Mag. Am I missing something, or do they not exist?

Thanks in advance,
Todd

dad45

Single-Sixer
I've wanted one for a long time but they don't show up often, I believe they were a limited run for accusport, can't remember the year but I haven't seen one for sale for at least a year and a half now

BlkHawk73

Hunter
They were the first of what became known as the Acusport Bisley's. Got one tucked away.

bigskyguy

Single-Sixer
Man,

You'd think Ruger would sell a whole whack of them if they made 'em. Either blued or stainless, wouldn't really matter to me. I just don't need or want a 7.5" or a 3.25"....

Maybe I'll buy a stainless Super Blackhawk and lop the barrel to 5.5", then find a stainless Bisley of some sort and make my own...

Thanks for the input guys.

Todd

bigskyguy

Single-Sixer
Bear Paw Jack said:
Ruger makes a Standard 5.5" Super Blackhawk 44 mag in stainless. Just change out the grip to bisley and you are good to go. No cutting down and all that stuff.

I did find one of these on Gunbroker. Pretty good price too.

What do you suppose the cheapest way into a Bisley grip frame would be?

I've seen some stainless Bisleys in .32 for $475ish, is that about as cheap as they come?

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
The cheapest way to get into a Bisley frame is to buy one from Brownells. You can get a grip frame and a conversion kit with hammer, trigger, etc. from them. You've got to fit the frame to your cylinder frame, but if you don't mind investing some elbow grease it's not too difficult. Just take your time with a file, and then with some finer sandpaper or emery cloth to finish. It took me about 4 hours to fit the grip frame to my gun.

Asltrfl

Bearcat
Power Custom has some great videos on youtube. He goes through fitting an oversize grip frame with great detail, and darn good video and audio as he goes. I found it at the bottom of his free-spin pawl page, or just go to power custom on you tube.

CraigC

Hawkeye
We got Dad one when they first came out. Don't know why they've never done another run. I would think it would sell better than the 3¾" they've made since.

Crappy old pic but it has CLC spalted birch.

Bisley%20.44x5_%20-%20011.JPG

I'd suggest doing it professionally right off the bat. It's cheaper and easier to do barrel work than a Bisley conversion. I fitted one to my 4 5/8" and never was satisfied with it.

SS%20Bisley%2044x4_%20-%2005.JPG

Then it went to Clements for finishing off.

P1010059.JPG

Then last year I got it back from Jack Huntington as a "best grade" custom with oversized six-shot cylinder, octagon barrel and Rowen Dall sheephorn.

IMG_9320b.jpg

bigskyguy

Single-Sixer
Very nice Sir!!!

Do you still have the old barrel and the first set of grips before going with the Dall...?

If you have them, I would be pretty interested...

Let me know.

Thx,
Todd

CraigC

Hawkeye
I should have asked for them back but didn't, or at least the barrel. No idea if Jack still has them. You're welcome to them if he does.

Rclark

Hunter
Well, there is the SS 5 1/2" Williams Supply Bisley in .45 Colt ;) . I believe Max Prasac (Author of Big Bore Revolvers really likes his for hunting if I recall correctly. {edited } Found his article in the book "Gun Digest Book of Ruger Revolvers" page 59-61. His Perfect packn' Pistol. Found on-line: The New-Age .45 Colt

.45 Colt SS Bisley 5 1/2" Ruger Blackhawk

Just saying there are 'options' :) .

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

bigskyguy

Single-Sixer
CraigC said:
I should have asked for them back but didn't, or at least the barrel. No idea if Jack still has them. You're welcome to them if he does.

That would be great! Thank you!

So what I was thinking is just buying two revolvers...a 5.5" super Blackhawk and the cheapest .32 Bisley that I could find.
Then I'd just swap out the parts and have two serviceable guns. The .32 sure doesn't need the benefits of the Bisley grip.

I looked into the Brownells frame, but to get the frame and the other required parts it is pretty much $300. I think I can find a Bisley for $450ish and have a whole nuther gun to play with!

Craig, when you swapped yours over and said you weren't satisfied, did you do what I am proposing, or do a Brownell's kit?

Thanks for all the feed back guys!

Todd

bigskyguy

Single-Sixer
Rclark said:
Well, there is the SS 5 1/2" Williams Supply Bisley in .45 Colt ;) . I believe Max Prasac (Author of Big Bore Revolvers really likes his for hunting if I recall correctly. {edited } Found his article in the book "Gun Digest Book of Ruger Revolvers" page 59-61. His Perfect packn' Pistol. Found on-line: The New-Age .45 Colt

.45 Colt SS Bisley 5 1/2" Ruger Blackhawk

Just saying there are 'options' :) .

I already have a 5.5" blued Bisley in .45LC. I got one of the Turnbull CCH'ed ones. It is SWEET! I was actually thinking about getting one of the Turnbull CCH'ed 44's in 7.5" and just live with the extra 2". That may just be the route I take...

Decisions, decisions....

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

bigskyguy

Single-Sixer
So, if I WERE going to buy a 7.5" stainless Blackhawk to cut down to 5.5", how is the front sight attached?

Is it simply screwed into place? I'm pretty sure I have the ability and wherewithal to cut and recrown the muzzle, but the sight could cause some minor problems. If it's as simple as measuring, marking, drilling and tapping then I "might" be able to swing it...

I have a line on a very lightly used one locally for a really good price, so if the sight isn't the fly in the ointment maybe that is the route I will take.

Thanks again,
Todd

bigskyguy said:
CraigC said:

So what I was thinking is just buying two revolvers...a 5.5" super Blackhawk and the cheapest .32 Bisley that I could find.
Then I'd just swap out the parts and have two serviceable guns. The .32 sure doesn't need the benefits of the Bisley grip.

I looked into the Brownells frame, but to get the frame and the other required parts it is pretty much $300. I think I can find a Bisley for $450ish and have a whole nuther gun to play with!

Craig, when you swapped yours over and said you weren't satisfied, did you do what I am proposing, or do a Brownell's kit?

Todd

I think you are on track. Brownells should have the bisley grip, but If there is another gun you want with a bisley grip, buy it and switch grips and have 2 guns. 32 is one idea, another is the bisley with the 3-3/4" barrel. Then you have the best of both worlds including a concealed carry that fits the bill.
Good luck with the project.

CraigC

Hawkeye
bigskyguy said:
CraigC said:

Todd
I bought the Brownells kit but tried to mate the grip frame to the receiver without filing/sanding/polishing them together. I think buying a Bisley and swapping parts is a good idea, especially if they are both late model guns.

lshines

Bearcat
bigskyguy said:
I'm kinda in the hunt for another Blackhawk and was wondering if Ruger ever made a 5.5" SS Bisley in 44 Mag.

I've searched on Gunbroker to no avail. The only stainless 44 Mag Bisleys that I can find are either 7.5" or the new 3.25" guns...too long, and too short for my needs. I see the 44 Specials in 5.5" Bisley, but no 44 Mag. Am I missing something, or do they not exist?

Thanks in advance,
Todd

i ALSO have searched (even 6" barrel), but also think an unfluted cylinder would be just the cat's meow, but Ruger hasn't made it, to my findings. I've lobbied Ruger and Lipsey's, etc. but that is a long and iffy wait. I finally ran into the Accusport Bisley! Well worth it (tho' the stamping on the cylinder is kind of funky). I might know of where another is - pm me but give me a few days to talk to the guy....