Bisley grip frame "is less than ideal"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

the fatman

Single-Sixer
Yosemite Sam":11rdluy8 said:
contender":11rdluy8 said:
Gee Slim, are you saying we have a new member TRYING to stir things up?
It seems we attract younger, coarser, more aggressive posters as the weekends approach. Weird phenomenon, but consistent. My guess is they're either feeling their hormones, or last weekend's hangover is finally starting to fade...

-- Sam
Yeah ya just can't trust anybody under fifty-five. :shock: Kids what else can ya say.

tguil

Single-Sixer
-- Sam[/quote] Yeah ya just can't trust anybody under fifty-five. :shock: Kids what else can ya say.[/quote]

More like 65. We have Medicare and Social Security. Therefore we are more worthy and trustworthy too. :D

Tom :cool:

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

Trigger guards whacking your knuckle is pretty much related to how close your knuckle is to the trigger guard. If you grip the gun so that you leave a little bit of space between the trigger guard and your knuckle, you can probably avoid getting whacked. If you cram your hand up against the rear of the trigger guard, you can pretty much count on getting whacked with heavy loads.

Look at a 1911 grip sometime. There is no space behind the trigger guard and it is impossible to get a finger in there. So the trigger guard can never whack your knuckle.

A lot of shooters buy the Bisley grip because they don't like the plowhandle grip, they like to get their entire hand on the grip and the Bisley grip is longer, so you can get your entire hand on there easily. But if you cram your hand up against the trigger guard, you are still going to get whacked with heavy loads.

Try shifting your grip so that you leave about 1/4" of space between your knuckle and the trigger guard. The discomfort will probably stop.

jpickar

Blackhawk
Just do what I did sell the Bisley grip frame and bought a Blackhawk steel grip frame and had money left over!!! :D :D :D :D :D

John

jronald

Bearcat
Must have touched some raw nerves. Been shooting over 45 years and know which end the bullet exits. 45 ACP is not problem in either Colt, clone or Glock. S&W revolvers are no problem in 45 or 44 magnum or Ruger double action. Its just not a lot of fun to get rapped in the middle finger each pull of the trigger. I am not alone as noted by other posters, and as one poster noted, each hand is different and each handles recoil differently. So, now that the smoke has cleared -some- anyone know of a custom grip maker?

jronald

Bearcat
woodpile":1p1u67h3 said:
I have made a few sets of grips with the fill behind the trigger. They seem to work out better with the laminates. Drop me a line if interested. Steve

I am interested. What have you got?

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I tried the Bisley and found it doesnt work for me too, neither does the old xr3 frame. I actually prefer the boring old cheap xr3red frame. I like the way it rolls back with recoil. I actually found the Bisley comes straight back more with heavy loads and is uncomfortable for me.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
for a custom grip option, you might try contacting CaryC. I'm sure you can contact Cary and he can tell you how his grips differ from factory grips and what they can offer you.
http://www.clccustomgrips.com/

I don't own any of CaryC's grips, but on my to-do list is get hime to make me a set.

while I have never had trouble with bisley grips whacking me. I do have a set of factory grips that were tweaked by Mr. Clements while he was doing some work on one of my bisleys.............the feel is quite different than factory grips (which i still have 3 bisleys w/ factory grips on them.) Much better fit and feel, resulting in more relief between my fingers and the trigger guard.

~c.r.

s4s4u

Hunter
I think OP is using too high of a grip, or maybe fingers just too big. I have Bisleys in 41 and 45 and shoot stout loads and have no problem. Even have a custom 480 being built on a Bisley frame I like it so much. The hogleg grip beats the heck out of me, don't know how you can't shoot a Bisley comfortably.

targetshootr

Single-Sixer
I've had Bisleys rap my knuckles and then adjusted my grip and was fine. A friends 475 turns his hand red using factory ammo because of the way he grips it. It didn't affect my hands at all.

JHRosier

Single-Sixer
I tried a Ruger Bisley and it just didn't work for me, so I didn't buy any more of them.
I much prefer to shoot the Super Blackhawk with the "Dragoon" gripframe.
I can fire the 310 gr bullets from the Super with a full load of H110 and don't have any problem with the recoil.
I allow the gun to "roll up" in true single action fashion and the trigger guard somehow misses my knuckle.
I will take a "plow handle" grip over any other.

I guess that there are so many different styles of guns because there are so many different styles of shooters. :wink:

Jack

JSam

Bearcat
Bisley grip works great for me too. OP needs to take things down a notch or two.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I, too, have trouble with the Bisley. I've small hands, as well, but the classic Super Blackhawk grip frame works pretty good.

52401191.jpg

It's the same old situation...... Ginger or MaryAnn? ( A reference to the early days here on R.F. when the discussions weren't so technical....... :D )

flatgate

CraigC

Hawkeye
flatgate":no4qubym said:
It's the same old situation...... Ginger or MaryAnn?
It really is. There's just no way to predict which one you'll like best and you have to shoot them to find out.

gak

Buckeye
Ginger, by the way :)
I have to admit, I've been tempted to trade my .44 Mag Vaqueros' plowhandles in--either entire guns or parts--on the Bisley. Haven't been able to quite get used to the different (non-shooting) feel--the plowhandles feeling more natural to me, but that may just be familiarity--but may get there yet.