Bisley grip conversion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mikehp

Bearcat
HI, new member and SA revolver shooter here. I just acquired a new NM stainless steel Blackhawk in 357 mag and would like to convert to a Bisley grip frame.I have heard this can be done. What parts do I need and can a rookie do this? I can detail strip my 1911's and Highpowers down to bare frames, but have never owned or worked on a SA revovlver.

Thanks for your time.

Mike

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
There is an issue with the hammer and trigger openings unless you change those parts also. There has not been any stainless Bisley gripframes available for a while as far as I know and even the blue (white) ones are hard to come by. Check the RugerForum classifieds.

This is the kit Brownell's sells, but they are out of stock now.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=319/ ... ERSION_KIT

..Jimbo

EDK

Single-Sixer
Look in your owners manual and find the number for the service center in NH.
Look up the numbers for grip frame, hammer, trigger and the two hex head bolts near the "frame ears."
Get out your credit card, call the number, wait patiently to talk to the lady there, be pleasant while you tell her what you want and hope they are in stock. If they aren't, ask if she has any idea when they will be. Thank her when you're done. They get enough unpleasant customers that a nice guy is a welcome change and they might be inclined to make a "judgement call" in your favor.

I've gotten BISLEY and HUNTER grip frames and other items "supposedly unavailable" or "supposedly restricted" by making the call and being pleasant. One poster here got irrate when I pointed out that "you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar" after he related his bad experience with RUGER service....guilty conscience?...the moderator had to calm him down some. Not trying to insult anyone or step on their toes; just telling what has worked for me everytime.

Aggie01

Blackhawk
It took me about 4 months of patiently looking at Numrich, Midways and Brownells sites, and calls to Ruger, but I managed to put together a stainless bisley kit last year. Be patient. Don't be afraid to buy one piece at a time.

+1 to being polite. I called Ruger and ordered a couple Montado hammers last year. They didn't ask for a serial number, and I didn't have a part number - I just asked for Montado hammers - and I got them. Not many people have gotten ahold of them that didn't get em on their Montados, but it was treated as no big deal at Ruger.

mikehp

Bearcat
Thanks for the info gentlemen, and I do understand the be nice part. You get alot further being pleasant than by being demanding or a jerk. I guess I will just have be patient and wing it. I did talk to a gentleman at Ruger customer service and he informed me the grip frame was not finished, but as cast or forged. Like I said, this SAA stuff is new to me.

Thanks again,
Mike

flatgate

Hawkeye
mikehp":27w56y51 said:
the grip frame was not finished, but as cast or forged.
Mike

Yup, all YOU have to do is add a bunch of "elbow grease".

Not to worry, the guy's here will take you though the procedure "step by step".

flatgate