Bisley back grip screws

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Could use some help, in need of some sets of the Bisley back grip frame screws for some conversion projects upcoming. Out of stock everwhere except Brownells, they want $7.50 each, expensive for a single screw. Ruger CS not an option at present

Question, is the same screw available from other sources maybe not designated as a grip screw.....same pitch and hex-head?

I had found some comparable screws at Ace Hardware, in the Nuts/Bolts bins. These were actually labelled as used for guns. Not every Ace had them though. It's worth a look. You need to know the thread length, overall legth and pitch count, if possible. It's also possible to scavenge screws from other guns or even some retention screws for holsters. I've been surprised at where I've found them. But I feel these would be very specific for you. Luck!

I went to McMaster Carr and picked up a box of 50, stainless steel hex heads, that look just like the factory screws. Box of 50 was $9.95. More than I needed, but much less than purchasing 4 that I needed at $7. Each, when you can find them. I'm sure I will need a couple more in the future

G2

Hunter
Here we go heading down this rabbit hole…🙃

I found myself in the same situation as you describe, so the hunt was on.
You are correct they are 6-40 and the factory length is a odd one.
Another observation, I did not like how the factory head socket seems to strip out somewhat easily.
Details as observed:

Factory -VS- Soultion (5/16 6-40 socket-head)
OAL .456 / .429
THREAD .321 / .294
HEAD .135 / .135
HEAD DIA. .199 / .219

Ok with these factory numbers in mind I went on the hunt,
I found 2 options that were close 5/16(.3125T) & 3/8(.375T) again factory is (.321T/ .456-.135=.321)
I could trim the length of the 3/8 screw but felt the loss from .321 factory to .294 as measured on the 5/16 screw (.027) was nominal.
The 5/16" was selected, didn't want to trim screw length to pick up .027.
I could trim the head back if I need the length. Note: I have never felt the need.
52265237949_863eed67a2_c.jpg

The difference in the head dia., (.020) I have noticed that this is not a problem with the Stainless Grip Frame, Sometimes a problem with Carbon and ALWAYS a problem with Brass, EASILY adjusted with the lathe or even chucked up in a drill. Should be noted that the socket quality is better than the factory screw. IMO
52265452360_cb5b2b9e44_c.jpg

No nylon in the non factory screw but a little lock-tight blue on final assembly works just fine.

Found non-factory screws ($2/2) are a excelent solution to expensive & sometimes hard to acquire factory screws, AFTER a little fine tuning, -VS- pay big money for factory screws.($15/2)

Finally, find yourself this tool, it lets you get into the tight space with surgical accuracy, control & ease.
52104522177_f608862995_c.jpg

Want some of these screws? drop me a PM. Trade ?, I like firearm related patches.😜

Last edited:

Latest posts