Bisley 45 LC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

550 cord

Bearcat
So I found a Blackhawk Bisley 45LC for a decent price. Thinking about buying it. However, it has the 7.5" barrel, and I want the 5.5" barrel. My question is: What kind of cost would I be looking at to have it cut to my preferred length? Or, would it be cheaper to wait and buy the gun with the barrel already at my preferred length?
What are the pro and con points about either barrel length?

Thanks

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
The standard Bisley .45 is a 7.5" barrel. If you want a 5.5" you'll need to hold out for the Accusport, which is stainless.

Several folks have posted good articles about shortening the barrel themselves. That's another option. Hacksaw, file, and a crowning tool.

Shipping alone to/from a gunsmith is going to cost you near $150. The price of the chop job is just icing on the cake.

-- Sam

550 cord

Bearcat
Ok, here are the ones I am looking at. More so the first one than the second, but I like both. The second one says it had a free spin job done. What does that mean, and would it add value to the gun? I am leaning more to the first, simply because it has a "buy it now" price that I believe is fair, based on the prices of the new ones going for higher. I have the Bisley bug bad. help!!

1. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =159366504

2. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =159519397

G2

Hunter
"Spin Job" I'm going to guess here and say it has a free spin paul. Add value, not really IMO. You can read about that here;
http://marauder.homestead.com/files/FreeSpin.html

Sounds like you want a blue gun and yes if you want a 5.5" bbl you will have to have it cut. You might want to give us a idea where you live and then maybe somebody will chime in w/ a good gunsmith that can help you w/ that.

Also sounds like the 1st one has been listed a few times. For some reason the 7.5 blued .45 colts do seem to be slower movers. Why? I really have no idea other than I think the current trend tends to be shorter barrels.

550 cord

Bearcat
Well, I guess I'm not buying the first one. It's gone already. Imagine that. I post it here as something I'm interested in, and then someone buys it right away. HMMM. Oh well. LOL
Anyway, I do want a blued one.
I live just south of Clarksville, TN. I know of only one gunsmith in the area, but have had a bad experience with him, and have heard of others having problems. Namely, that he does what he wants, not what the customer wants.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

Go to Ruger's website and click on the customer service button. About halfway down you will see a heading titled Service Fees. Click on that and you will see that you can get Ruger to rebarrel a gun for you. Looks like they charge $80 for a single action plus $30 to ship it back to you.

By the way, I knew somebody who sent an old Single Six back to Ruger for rebluing and he was very pleased with the service and the result.

http://www.ruger.com/

G2

Hunter
The $80 is just the Labor, no Part and there are no blued 5.5" .45 colt barrels. Ruger will not cut it down either. . . and no they will not install a Stainless 5.5" Want a blued 5.5, Your going to have to make it, No big deal and spend a little more $$ and get the Billboard removed while your at it.

Well your only 231 miles from one of the best Gunsmiths in the country, Hamilton Bowen. But hang on there are a bunch of good O'l boys from TN, I'm sure there is something closer. There has to be somebody good in Nashville.

For what it is worth, I liked the 2nd gun deal better, He also has a NIB .41 Bisley and a .32 Bisley, You should offer to buy em all. :D :D Yes No Buy it Now but place a bid and let it ride. Be patient there are ALOT of good deals out there right now. I know I am gun rich, and cash poor and I keep seeing good deals allmost everyday. :roll: :roll: :roll:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Driftwood Johnson":3ps2sphn said:
Howdy

Go to Ruger's website and click on the customer service button. About halfway down you will see a heading titled Service Fees. Click on that and you will see that you can get Ruger to rebarrel a gun for you. Looks like they charge $80 for a single action plus $30 to ship it back to you.

They will not configure any gun so that the end result is of a non-cataloged variation. No cataloged 5 1/2" Bisleys so no-go for this route.
If it's a must. check with the better gunsmiths about take-off bbls.

550 cord

Bearcat
I think I just need to be patient with this search. I'm also looking at the Bisley Vaquero as a possibility. As I read in another thread, the old model vaquero can handle loads heavy enough to kill deer, but not the more stout loads that a blackhawk could handle. At least that's what I thought I was reading. Besides, I don't think a load has to be "hot" to kill deer or similar size animals.

The original Vaquero is built on the exact same strength frame as the full sized blackhawk. The only difference is the fixed sight versus the adjustable sight. You can have one of the original vaqueros converted to 500 Linebaugh or 475 Linebaugh which is stout enough to take anything on this earth, Which they both have. It is not until you get the New Vaquero on the midsized frame that you start bumping into the possibility restrictions.

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
Check out Hamilton Bowen's web site at bowenclassicarms.com He probably the best in the Ruger choping business and you could drive the gun over in a few hours from where you live. I too want a 5.5 inch blued 45 colt but I only want 5 holes in it and Bowen will do mine for me. Just got to save up for the expense of the custom cylinder. I need to stop buy and start saving, stop buying, start saving, stop buying......

550 cord

Bearcat
Thanks for the info on the old model Vaquero. Now I am really interested! Guess now all I have to do is find one for a fair price.

Dale53

Blackhawk
Last fall I and two friends, each, picked up a SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible 5½" for less than $600.00 delivered (including all shipping and FFL fee). It is a sweet revolver.

I would "put out the word" on the forums and watch Gun Broker. There are surely others available.

Good luck to you.

Dale53

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Any competent gunsmith should be able to cut the barrel down and remount the front sight. I've had two done, one was $75 and the other about $125. Or you could find a 5.5 inch 45 colt and then order a bisley grip frame and grips. The grip frame itself will probably cost as much or more than the barrel being cut unless you can find some one that would like to trade grip frames..

Smee781

Single-Sixer
Just remember if you use the vaquero the lack of adj sights may be a pain to find a load to hit point of impact or you will have some more filling to do.

Olsherm

Blackhawk
There was a blue and case colored 5 1/2 inch barrel 44 magnum "old model Vaquero" or "early model"?????? new in the box. Was beautiful gun. I handled it myself. Was around $500 if I remember. It was in a gun shop in Sikeston,Missouri called REARMS or RE-ARMS just a few days ago.

550 cord

Bearcat
Well, I am thinking that since I already have a shooter SBH 44, and since I already have dies for it and components, I am going to be content with it. However, I do want to weld the screw holes in the top strap and cut the barrel to 5 1/2", then maybe later convert it to a Bisley. I need to space out the work on it as I can afford it. Gunsmith advice?
Thanks everyone for the great advice.