BisHunter Project... Mission Accomplished...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snyd

Single-Sixer
The BisHunter project is complete! …well…. sort of…. these things never really end do they! Anyway, It started out looking like this. I've never embarked on this kind of thing before. This is a learning process, and a fun one at that! I figure I'm still a beginner when comes to handguns, bullet casting and have only be reloading about 3 years. Never have hunted with one but that's about to change. Anyway….

Ruger 45 Colt Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter, Weaver 2x28, custom LBT mould that drops a 350gr WFN Hammer with WW Lead, panned lubed with homemade boolit lube made from Beeswax I rendered myself and mixed up with some other stuff. The throats were tight so I got a reamer and reamed them myself ( a first for me, a little nerve racking, this is one of only 279 of these guns made) that tightened up the groups. This is more fun than tying your own flies from birds you shot!

bisHntr_06.jpg

I had worked up the load and after the throat ream shot the group on the left a couple weeks ago. Today I set out to dial in the scope at 50yds. It was windy and my plywood target stand was moving slightly now and then but here's how it ended up. 6 shots 5 holes…whaaa??? a bishunter robinhood?? Yup, one hole actually is not quite perfectly round, shots 2&3. I don't know if I can shoot any better than this even if the gun can. I'm calling this a successful project.

sbh_355_03.jpg

I then shot 12 rounds in different shooting positions- sitting with no backrest with elbows on knees, a couple laying on my side and a some sitting with a backrest with elbows on knees. I hit the paper with all but 1 and half of them! I think those were the ones I shot laying on my side. I've got a good start. Now it's time to practice shooting from different field positions and figure out what my max range will be for a solid kill shot. I'm thinking 50-75yds max. Otherwise I may as well hunt with a rifle. But, what if that big bull just won't come in and he's at 100yds and I have a rest??…. :rolleyes: I also need to pull the scope off and do some shooting now that I know how the load shoots.

sbh_355_05.jpg

I'm pretty satisfied so far. The gun with this load is accurate, at least accurate enough for hunting and should pack one heck of a wallop. I'm slinging .452 355gr of WFN that's practically a wadcutter at 1197fps, 12 shot avg. Most important I think is that I feel very confident with it in that I could take it hunting tomorrow and not hesitate to shoot bear or moose with it out to 50+ yds. It might not impress the match target guys or those who shoot beer cans at 100yds but, it should do the job on critters. Hopefully I'll get to try it out on a blackie in a couple months.

wildwillalaska

Single-Sixer
Snyd--it looks like you have her dialed in nicely. Blackies beware this year. If the permits would ever come out we could actually plan what we are going to go after with these wheel guns.

I see pictures in your future of the gun and things other than paper with holes.

I still smile everytime I see those Hammers. I have 25 of them left I need to load up--been distracted with other calibers the past couple weeks, but gotta load up a few hundred rounds of 45 colt before heading to Sutton for a long weekend of fun, friends, shooting and the Palmer gunshow.

Let me know when your ready to built up a 44 sister to that one.

Will

Snyd

Single-Sixer
dougader":2z3nbbrt said:
Looks great. Care to share your load data for that hunk o' lead?

21.5gr H110, Starline brass, CCI 350, nice firm crimp.

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
I have to agree I have the Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter in .44 Mag and even though I am no shootest like some I was happy with this 50 yard group. Even though I did pull the first shot low.OOOOOOOOOOOPS lol.

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
Forgot to add that is an Ultra Dot Match Dot. From Ultra Dot west. But I may pull it and replace it with a 2-7 scope or none at all lol. Have not decided as of yet. :)

The Boolit is from an old Ideal 431244 GC Mould Home Cast.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have taken a half dozen deer with my handguns. I have two deer hunting handguns - a Ruger Redhawk 7½" is scoped with a Leupold, and a S&W Model 29 scoped with a Burris big dot two power scope.

They both will take deer to 125 yards with me behind the grip. It takes a good bit of practice but a good handgun IS the deer gun for me.

Unfortunately, I have pretty much quit deer hunting. I am just getting too old to drag a deer out of the woods, (and mores the pity as we are overrun with deer in SW Ohio). Yep, that's true - and they are corn and bean fed, too. Best venison ANYWHERE!

FWIW
Dale53

Myman

Bearcat
I am very jealous I have been looking for a .45LC for about 6 months now without luck. If you come across a second one I will be happy to pay you a finder's fee.

Myman

Bearcat
I am looking for a Bisley I have the 44mag and the 41 but cant seem to find the .45 I might buy onr on GB and change the parts out.

tguil

Single-Sixer
Snyd,

Now that you have had this gun for a while, what do you think of the Weaver scope? I'm about to purchase a scope for my Hunter and am considering the Weaver 2X. The price is right and it looks good on the gun.

By the way. Good shootin'.

ohnomrbillk

Single-Sixer
Myman":3lfirdiq said:
I am looking for a Bisley I have the 44mag and the 41 but cant seem to find the .45 I might buy onr on GB and change the parts out.

I was considering the same thing. Still holding out though.

Latest posts