Birthday present early... any ideals?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

So I got my birthday present early this year... I'm turning 65 next Tuesday but this arrived on Friday.

This has been in my wife's family longer than she can remember.... was at her Grandparent's house here in Clemson until the 60's. Then in Florence S.C. at her parents for about 30 years and then up until this past month in D.C.

They have always called her Gretchen ... .and believe it or not she is over 3ft tall. I have always coveted it . If any body has any idea of it's origin or such please chime in.

montana outfitters

Single-Sixer
it might be Gretchen in the jar.......looks like a urn to me or one of those containers with grampa in a jar over the fireplace.........the picture might be the lady in the jar...............

Mike J

Hunter
I don't know but it's kind of cool. I would call it a conversation piece.

montana outfitters

Single-Sixer
LOOK INSIDE!!!!!!!!!!! SEE WHAT'S IN THERE.........THE PORTRAIT I THINK IS A TELL.WITH A LID IT ISN'T A VAISE.........STILL THINK A URN.........

hittman

Staff member
Oh so many questions ….

Painted finish or baked on enamel?
What is is made of? Porcelain? Brass? Tin? Ceramic?
Anything engraved or stamped on the bottom or the back? Makers mark? Date? Serial Number? Model Number, etc.?

nekvermont

Blackhawk
My first thought was its Dianne Feinstein's High School graduation present from her parents, but I'm probably wrong.

ronto

Single-Sixer
It looks like Royal Vienna (1719-1864). Is the mark on the bottom a "bee hive" shape? A picture of the mark on the bottom would help since I have a book of marks.
An urn that big could be worth thousands. Is the portrait signed by the artist? By the looks of the portrait, it looks like a 19th Century piece.
You can send a picture of the piece from various view points along with a picture of the mark on the bottom to an auction house and they would give you an estimate of auction of prices at no cost to you. I had good luck with Butterfield in L.A. ,Sotheby's is also good.

Last edited:

Mauser9

Single-Sixer
Beautiful piece! Well worth doing the research as to age and value. Wish I could add some info. Antique pro would know. Antique Roadshow item it looks to me. Thanks for sharing.

KIR

Blackhawk
Oh, I was thinking you were looking for ideas for a birthday gift. I don't know anything about the one you got, but for my B-day, my niece surprised me with one of the best gifts ever. Very practical. I am sure many of you have heard about unscrupulous people drilling into large gas tanks and stealing gasoline. I drive a truck and my niece got me a Feit off of Amazon. It is like Ring, but no subscription. My son, safely home from 20 years in the army, thank goodness, installed it and hooked it up to my cell phone. Lots of different features, recording, turning lights off/on, speaker...all this from cell phone even when one is not there. Sorry to get off track.

Latest posts