Birdshead grips on NMV or just OMV ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

Did they make the birdshead grip vaqueros in just the old model vaquero or did they also make them on the new model vaquero?

I'd like to get a new model but if they never made one I'd be wasting my time looking

(Stainless 45LC by the way)

A

Anonymous

I called Ruger to ask about a Birdshead grip for the Montado and no they don't offer it, no they don't have plans to and no you can't get that as a part and put it on yourself as the one they offer wouldn't fit.
I asked if they took requests and she said she could pass it on. So I asked that they make a Montado in Stainless with a Birdshead grip in 45LC. She said she would pass it on. I told her I would buy one if they did make one.

Maybe if a number of people requested it they would make a limited number.

Midway says backorder ok.
SS Ruger birdshead grip frame #821208 You may have to cut the locating tabs off to fit the new vaq. but should fit wiyh little work. They have them in the white also.
Eric

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
It's Ruger policy so far: the NewVaq is going to be a pure-lock series.

Gary Reeder is refusing to sell non-lock grip frame sets to NewVaq owners or install them on NewVaqs, "to avoid pissing off Ruger". Now either Gary is just being Gary, or he's actually gotten a demand or "strongly worded request" from Ruger. No idea which.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I think I would try putting a birdshead grip in a New Vaquero if I had a New Vaquero. I put one on my single six and the grip frame was probably meant for the Vaquero frame size. I had to take the ears down on top. shorten the locating pins or protrusions that go in to the cylinder frame and narrow the grip frame. Didn't take all that long and wasn't that difficult to do. If the New Vaquero has the lock you will need to get the regular main spring, strut, and seat.