Birdshead grip frame on longer barreled revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

princeout

Blackhawk
Onty said:
Regarding Trail Boss, what is the charge, and what is the velocity you are getting?

I just fill the case to the base of the bullet with no compression. I think it is about 10 gr with this bullet.

As for velocities, my only chrono is how many times the steel target swings around. It's a pretty good whack - at both ends.

Tim

Well, I just had to know... I had a birdshead I was actually looking to sell and thought I'd try the grip frame on my 7.5" (original) Vaquero. The fit is nearly perfect! With John Downey's thicker custom grip panels (these in Jamaican Blue Mahoe), I'm afforded a well-controlled purchase of the revolver and balance is great. Comfort and sight radius are confident-inspiring, too. I plan to get back to the range next weekend to send some 265gr CP WFNCG downrange.

Edited for typo

Dillon Justice

Bearcat
I'm posting here (as I probably should have in the first place) since my posting at Specialty Pistols didn't gain much traction...

With regards to Ruger single-action revolvers, I like their birdshead grip frame the most but only when wearing thicker grip panels (not the thin factory grip panels). For max loads, the Bisley does give more to hold on to, and I like it for that, but the heel always bites into my support hand. XR3-RED (Dragoon) grip frames are even worse! In my opinion, the birdshead frame with fat, palm-filling panels is about as good and comfortable as it gets when shooting a single-action revolver. Having said that, I'm thinking about swapping grip frames between a couple of my Vaqueros to experiment with how a birdhead (with fat panels as described) grip frame would work with a 7.5" (original) Vaquero in 45Colt. I mention the cartridge because the larger bore keeps the barrel a little lighter compared to a long-barrel 357Mag, for example. Also, I mention "original" Vaquero with the implication that I won't mind setting off a few of the Ruger-only loads in this configuration (or at least something a little warmer than 14,000cup). Has anyone tried a properly-gripped birdshead frame on a 7.5" 45Colt before? How was the balance? Keep in mind that if I were to use thin factory grips, then all bets are off (completely off) the table. After I put some fat panels on my Ruger birdshead, I can comfortably shoot warm 44Mag rounds all day in comfort, but with factory grips, about a cylinder full is all I want. The difference is that dramatic that I'm just thinking of doing the grip frame swap. Lastly, would there be any fitting issues as long as the grip frames are take-offs from original Vaqueros? So far I've only seen one photo of a 7.5" Vaquero with a birdshead grip frame, but I was not able to talk to the owner. Thanks for the comments!
I've always liked the looks of a birdshead grip. I've been doing cowboy action for about 8 years, and have only fired a few birdshead guns. We use light cowboy loads and even then I didn't like the balance or the control. Not enough meat to hang onto. But that's just me. If you have no problem shooting a 44 with them, go with what you like. This world would be pretty boring if everyone did the same as me.

Gunny268

Bearcat
I have small hands and prefer the Ruger birdshead grip on my pistols. But, actually, only on the small caliber ones. For the larger bore...Thank You Mr. Ronnie Wells! Fantastic frame that took a little time and not too much work.
Bisley (2).jpg

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
What do you mean mostuff Ruger grip no way?

Simply no way it is a viable grip for me on a gun I plan to shoot.
I have tried to like them because they are so darn cute,,,,,,,,, but I can't. I've had a 32mag and a 45colt so equipped and disliked both. Nice to look at ,nice to carry ,horrible to shoot.
I do my main "gripping " on the lower half of the grip frame with that part locking into my hand. I try that with a BH and it points down. I must adjust my wrist to accommodate and that leads me to poor , unnatural feeling shootin.
The Ruger rendition simply fails to give me a repeatable grip. That is why the "No Way". Function over form is key for me.
I see very few actually shooting Birdsheads and never with full power loads where they actually become quite miserable, in my opinion.
Now the R. Wells version starts up higher and is in fact a round butted Bisley.
Your hand will sit higher in relation to the bore line and all your fingers have a purchase.
Betcha that one will shoot.
Keep on keeping on if they tickle you but they totally fail for me.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
LOL!!!!
I just went back thru the whole thread and see I wrote mostly the same stuff a year and a half ago!
So, I apologize for the longwinded redundancy but at least it seems my opinion has not softened.