Birdshead ejector housing....cut me!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
Hey All,
While ejecting cases from my new-to-me, previously unfired (by anyone!) Birdshead...

My finger got deeply cut by the very sharp edges on the inside edges, where the spring/rod is housed.
While flicking the ejector rod down toward the cylinder, my finger slid onto this razor sharp edge.

Wrapped up my finger, thinking it was cut on the edge of a piece of ejected brass.
Later on, did it again on my "next" finger, and figured out it was the sharp edge on the ejector housing.

Question: What would you use to break the sharp edge?
Would you remove the housing, or just hit it while in place?

This is my fourth or fifth Ruger Vaquero, but never experienced this before...
(by the way, the Birdshead performed flawlessly and was very accurate!)

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
If it is a stainless gun you might try and remove the housing and with some fine grit wet sand paper and a pop sickle stick give that a go to remove the sharp edge. If it is blue gun call Ruger and they will take care of it, ask for a return shipper label to send it back.

as noted above, simply "deburr" the offending edge....and no need to send the entire gun back when you can simply ship them the housing, they will see its "sharp" and fix or replace it.
all too often on stainless guns, any and ALL machined,, cut parts can be like a razors edge.....stone or file as needed, yes they should have done it and or been caught by QC........ :?

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
It is a blued model.
I never really thought about the bluing being affected by the deburring process!

Guess I can send just the housing back to Ruger....man, hate to do that!
Perhaps I'll just deburr it and live with some faded bluing on the housing......

It is quite sharp, or else I wouldn't worry so much...

is the housing steel or aluminum ?? if you are careful, you can deburr the sharp edge, just do not "roll" the edge over to the outside, small 'swiss file' and just the "sharp ' edge, could have done it already in the time it took to type this reply........ 8)

the reason I asked as to what metal it may be , this edge could be touched up with either Cold blue or aluminum Black, after the 'deburr,' we used to have to do this sort of thing all the time for folks......
sometimes just the use of the ejector, and if the button "rubs" on the outside edge, it actually can 'hone" and sharpen the inside, of the edge with use.......... :roll:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I usually run a small pocket stone up and down the opening. A fine grip won't leave enough metal removed to creat "white metal." Put the corner of the stone so that it polishes both sides of the slot.

Bob Wright

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
Bob Wright said:
I usually run a small pocket stone up and down the opening. A fine grip won't leave enough metal removed to creat "white metal." Put the corner of the stone so that it polishes both sides of the slot.

Bob Wright
Thanks!
Where might I find such a stone? What is their specific name or brand?
Forgive my ignorance, and thanks for the advice!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Get a small square shaped Arkansas stone about 3" long, any brand. You'll find a lot of uses for it once you get it. Set one long edge of it in the slot from the open end at the bottom of the housing with it off the gun. Like Dan and Bob posted: Slide it up and down 4 or 5 times, and you'll 'break' both razor edges at the same time. You will go thru the blue but they'll be very thin white lines.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Those stones can be found at most hardware stores, especially the smaller local stores, as opposed to the BIG depots, or knife shops and sporting goods stores,
They're about 1" wide, 1/4" thick, and 3" in length. Get the Arkansas oil stones or India stones. I don't find the Carborundum stones to be as good.

Bob Wright