Birdseye Maple & Internet Gun Forums

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
There was a wood rifle cabinet with glass doors in the dining room of the house where I grew up. In that cabinet were my dad's guns. Some of them had been passed on to my dad from his dad. My grandfather was the gun buyer at Marshall Field & Company on State Street in Chicago during the 1950's. My dad visited his father often and one day he was struck by a gorgeous Winchester .22 pump rifle. Its high luster blue finish was set off by a stock and forearm that seemed to glow with gold. My dad asked about the rifle and my grandpa told him that it was special ordered custom direct from Winchester with a fancy birdseye maple wood stock.

Months later the Winchester still hadn't been picked up. For whatever reason, the gentleman who ordered the little .22 said he could no longer purchase the gun. His deposit had to be forfeited. My dad saved his money and hoped no one else would buy the rifle. After a few more months, my dad was able to buy the stunning Winchester and he even got a 20% employee discount on top of the forfeited deposit already paid by the poor guy who ordered the gun.

This photo was taken of my sister before I was even born. It's a bit out of focus but you can see that gold and blue Winny in the gun cabinet:

BirdseyeMaple.jpg

Around 1986, my dad decided he really wanted one of the Colt 150th Anniversary engraved sampler SAA's. The Winchester was still in perfect condition, as my dad had only fired it once. We took it to the CADA Gun Show and the very reputable Jeff Faintich looked it over. He told my dad that he could offer him $3000 and that he would resell it in Las Vegas to a collector for $3500. My dad asked me if I thought he should sell it. I told him I had no idea what I would do with a $3500 .22 rifle that I would be scared to shoot.

My dad sold the gun and he bought his engraved Colt .45 SAA.

Two years later I bought a S&W Model 624 .44 Special because Skeeter Skelton said stainless steel was the only way to improve on the perfect Model 24. Skeeter had his stocks custom made by Deacon Deason of Bear Hug Grips. I told my dad that I was thinking about ordering a pair of custom grips just like the ones Skelton used. I told my father I was also thinking about having them made out of birdseye maple.

He said that was a great idea. He even said he'd pay for them and that they could remind me of that great little Winchester Model 62 pump. They were pretty expensive grips for 1988 and they took a long time to make. Deason had his customers send him an outline of their shooting hand and he based the size of the grips on the tracing. When I finally got the custom handles, they fit perfectly and felt wonderful in my hands. They shot great too!

I've since enhanced my 624 with a few other custom touches, but I still carry it in an El Paso Saddlery Threepersons crossdraw holster.

I have such a fondness for birdseye maple that I had a pair made for my Witness Match by Sam at www.czgrips.us and I also have two sets from Cary C at www.clccustomgrips.com for two of my Ruger single action revolvers.

I posted some pictures of my 624 and my new Blackhawk .44 Special on The High Road and a gentlemen by the user name of sharpsdressedman sent me an email. He said he had a set of N-Frame Bear Hug Grips in birdseye maple that he didn't need. He wanted the same price as what they cost 22 years ago. I was amazed at my luck and, of course, I bought them.

They arrived today and I put them on my 1976 S&W Model 29. That blue and maple combo still looks great to my eye!

BirdseyeMaple002.jpg

Deacon Deason passed away years ago and the current manufacturer of the Skelton grips isn't quite the same as these beauties. The price is about 2 1/2 times as much too!

My two N-Frames look and feel terrific!

BirdseyeMaple007.jpg

BirdseyeMaple008.jpg

Here's a group shot of all the birdseye maple guns:

BirdseyeMaple014.jpg

Many thanks go out to sharpsdressedman for offering these stunning Bear Hug Grips to me. I will treasure them forever! My dad passed away several years ago. I have so many great memories of him, including that Winchester rifle and my Bear Hug Grips.

If I couldn't keep that rifle, at least I still have the Colt (as much as I like birdseye maple, my dad and I both liked elephant ivory as well)!

ColtSampler010.jpg

-Steve

chutch

Bearcat
A great story and beautiful pictures. Our tastes must run similar as I've never seen a picture of one of your sixguns I didn't like. That 624 is one of my all time favorites!

gatling

Blackhawk
Fabulous guns. I, too, am a fan of birdseye maple. I just bought a two piece blank on GB; now I have to figure out what to do with it. I have heard that birdseye is very tough to get today, because there isn't any more of it growing. The story I heard is that the birds' eyes in the maple were caused by insect infestation of some sort, and improved pesticides have killed the bugs that created the effect. I don't know if this is true or not.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I have a 5-yr old quilt rack handmade of birdseye maple boards all 1"T.

I'm thinking someday it may evolve into several sets of stocks... !

Scott r

Single-Sixer
The "current manufacture" made these about two months ago. Most think he carries the tradition quite well.

DSC01824.jpg

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
Scott, those fancy walnut handles are stunningly gorgeous! The cut out for a speed loader "isn't quite the same" is all I meant.

I'm just amazed at my good luck to have the birdseye maple grips offered to me. It's like being in a time machine. I was able to buy a perfect, like new set of Deacon Deason's handcrafted handles for $90 instead of Blu Magnum's $260 (both including shipping).

It would have been one thing if the offer had come by email for these grips in walnut or some other wood. But for them to be my favorite birdseye maple makes me want to go buy a lottery ticket to keep my good fortune going!