Bird viewing while fishing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

In the lulls between fish strikes. Roland noticed a strange bird in the water. It had a long curved neck, sharp, straight, yellow beak, and a lean body. It was swimming like a duck. I thought cormorant, Roland thought swan. When it took off from the water it was a Great Blue Heron! Neither of us had seen that behavior before.
gramps

tookalisten

Blackhawk
That is interesting. We have a resident heron in the pond behind the house. I have watched him so much, I think of him as part of the family. Seen him wade; but never swim.

blackhawknj

Buckeye
I have seen them here in Central NJ. When wading, they look rather ungainly and clumsy, then they take off and they define grace.

skeeter

Single-Sixer
We have herons all over here. Never seen one swim though. Have seen them come to shore and go after chipmunks. Yes they like to eat chipmunks.

We have them in all the wetlands here, but I've never seen one swim, although it makes sense that they can, if necessary.

I've seen them in the prairies of Idaho and Eastern Washington, miles from any water source, waiting patiently by ground squirrel holes! They'll eat anything live that they can swallow, including ducklings. Watched one spend a half-hour trying to swallow a small stingray the other day, until a big Black Backed Gull stole it from him (Once found a heron that had choked to death on a baby halibut).

Coyotes will rush a heron on the ground, but stop short of attacking them if they aren't hurt, just like they will rush a flock of geese to see if anyone can't fly. Smart, pitiless.

coach

Hunter
I've seen great blue herons since I was a kid and I never saw one swimming before. Maybe he was trying to land a big one.:) Those long legs wouldn't seem to work well underwater.

Latest posts