Bill Jordan's .32 H&R Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David Lee Valdina

Single-Sixer
I have a Ruger NM Single Six in .32 H&R Mag. that was once owned by Bill Jordan. Ruger gave him his own serial number, # 650-00086 and it also has his signature laser etched on the top strap. It has a 6.5" barrel and is in very good condition. I have pictures but can't figure out how to post them. Write me and I will send them out. If someone who gets them can post them, great. I would like some feed back as to it's value. I am on Cape Cod for the summer. [email protected] or call me at 508-563-3282

David Lee Valdina

Single-Sixer
http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss19 ... _1-2-1.jpg

I guess if all that comes out is the address, I am still doing something wrong.
If I was a teenager I would just know all of this. Frustrating.

You've posted a link to the page your images are on. You need to link to the individual images...
http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss19 ... _1-2-1.jpg

and use the Forum Code

flatgate

Page_1-2-1.jpg

One more hint, up load each individual image separately so each image has it's own URL. Larger would be good, too!

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Good on you, Pard. Hold on to that gun. Jordan was a heck of an officer, a Marine, and a shooter of extraordinary talent. Check out his appearance on "Believe It or Not" a TV show from the 60's.

He was instrumental in getting S&W to bring out the Model 19, and called it the ultimate police officer's side arm.

His design and suggested use of holsters for law enforcement is as relevent today as it was in the early 60's.

His book, "No Second Place Winner", is a classic, well worth searching for and will give you some incite into self defense, and just what makes a good peace officer.

Regards, Rodfac

Crazy Horse

Single-Sixer
Wow! That's a cool gun! Bill was a hero of mine. I got to meet him about 6 months before he died. I have all of his books autographed to me. I have never see a human with hands as big as him!

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
He was my hero too! He signed a copy of "No Second Place Winner" for me and it will never ever be sold by me anyway. I passed all the tests to go to the Border Patrol and wrote and asked adivce and he sent me a nice note along with the book. I chose another career but always wondered "what if?".

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
The Jordan guns were sold off at an auction in NH a couple years ago, I missed that sale but heard about them afterward. I have seven #86 guns from the early 1970's, the NR5, BN31, BN36, BN42, BN45, S47N, and KBP7. I like to think they were Jordan guns but they do not have his name etched in the top like the ones sold in NH did. They did come out of Texas though, so maybe they got separated from the herd before the etching bug hit.

Another forum member was at that NH auction, maybe he can fill you in on what the prices were like.

David Lee Valdina

Single-Sixer
and I believe I still have the catalog and price key. The auction was run by J.C. Devine Inc., Milford, NH (603) 673-4967 on Mrch 8, 1998, auction number 9802. A large number of Bill Jordan's guns were in the auction. Not all of his guns had his signature etched on them. We were told that Ruger gave guns with # 00086 to him. But some guns he had owned did not have that number. One other note, the first time I went to use this revolver it had mechanical problems and I sent it back to Ruger with a letter for their service department to make it right.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Ah yes, a "couple" years ago - as in 1998 :oops:

Yeah, I knew it was Devine's but for some reason thought it was more recently the way the other guy talked about it. 1998 was before I started going to those auctions. Then I stopped subscribing to their catalogs a couple/three years ago.

I bought my #86 guns in March, 2005 so that was well after that auction. I always felt that they never left Texas until I got them but they may have migrated back from NH. Since you have the catalog, could you check to see if the early New Model Blackhawks, Super Blackhawk, Single Six, and stainless Old Army were in that sale? The SN prefixes are 62, 51, 32, 41, 46, 81 and the Old Army has no prefix, just 86.

David Lee Valdina

Single-Sixer
J.C. Devine had the Bill Jordan collection as the theme. Probably 200 lots. The consignor number was "5" and perhaps Mr. Devine would provide a print out of what was in the auction from Mr. Jordan's estate. I went through the catalog looking for Rugers with 00086. I found 32. There were other Rugers he owned that did not have his personal number on them. Of the numbers you asked about, I found two. Lot 120 was 620-00086 and is a Model 96 in .22 mag and the hammer price was $375. Lot 61 was 410-00086 and is a Red Label in 12 ga. and the hammer price was $800. My .32 H&R Single Six was lot 55, serial # 650-00086 and had a hammer price was $500.

rbertalotto

Bearcat
Now this is just too cool........To find this thread from back in 2009!

I now own #86 Bill Jordan 32H&R Mag. I just bought it from the original poster and was doing a quick Google search to see what I could find out about its history.

This tread sums it up!

David is a good friend and knew I'd love to have this Single Six join my collection of Ruger SA revolvers.

Thanks David.........This Ruger Single Six will be cherished and passed down to my grandsons someday........

gunman42782

Hunter
I love a happy ending.

It would have been happier if I ended up with it though! :D

tuftrk

Bearcat
I also went to that auction and my only regret was lack of cash flow.I did manage to get the S4440 convertible SN 87-00086 for $700 and the 96/22M SN 620-00086for $375. Both guns have his name engraved. Sure wish I could have got more. He was one of my favorite authors.

stantheman86

Buckeye
It's neat that Bill Jordan, a name that goes hand in hand with S&W and the Model 19 was also a Ruger fan 8)

Major T

Blackhawk
I used to run into Bill Jordan occasionally at a gun shop in Austin, TX. He and the owner were old time pistol shooting competitors and friends. He was always friendly and gracious. He was a big man and as one poster suggested, his hands were enormous. Shaking hands with him was a challenge as it was difficult to have any degree of firmness returned to him. I am sure he was accustomed to that as there are few with hands the size of his, I had an acquaintance that played football for Texas and then Detroit was the only match that I ever met. Jordan's heart was about as big as his hands unless he had reason to be otherwise. A great old timer. jack

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
I have an autographed copy of his book, I had the chance to be a Border Patrolman(chose another job at the last minute) but he was great to talk to on the phone about the possible career.I receieved orders to Del Rio Texas, always wondered how my life would have changed had I taken the assisgnment. He was special.

STGThndr

Bearcat
Bill Jordan's book, No Second-place Winner, had a very real effect upon my teen-age mind. He was all business in the matter especially of handguns. He was one of the "giants" in gun-writing on account of his extensive experience.