Bigfoot?... nope.. haven't seen him....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I was inquired of recently if I had seen bigfoot, while out tramping around my woods.... Nope...!!! :lol:
Not a sign.... Actually I am a sceptic on bigfoot.... Zmbies on the other hand!.. :shock:

onestly I could have used ol sasquatch yesterday.... As I was tasked to deliver a trailer load of building material and tools to the remote cabin I worked at earlier this summer.

Reference here...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpO5q7oVVJg

I was driving a Honda atv, with more weight than I should have been hauling. Especially since we recently have been getting a lot of rain..
This first half of the journey wasn't so bad... flat well packed trail system. But as I got further from civilization the worse the trails get. I had a lot of trouble on some of the small hills... No traction in the slime and to much weight... That was when I discovered that the winch didn't work...... Yay........
hree little puny hills have me a time, and it took 5 attempts before I could get up the worst one.... Seems there is always root structure to complicate things.... BPJ, I'm sure you can relate....
If that weren't bad enough I decided to have trouble with the trailer tipping over!!.. This was due to it being loaded to high, and having the center of gravity up there beyond optimum... Even the most minor traverse.. such as circling down around a hill, could case the trailer to tip if it hit an additional hump.... Which it did...... twice... :evil:
I had to unload the trail each time... and worse.. I had to cut the hooks off the ratchet straps, to even get to the load.....
I finally get within a quarter mile of the cabin and I am stopped by a really stupid bridge.... It consisted of two sets of logs that you had to straddle with the atv to get across....
As BPJ, will attest... every obstacle you encounter, will first be met with a turn in the trail just before.. making manoeuvring just that much more difficult... Due to the mud and the muck just before the bridge... and the weight of the trailer behind me, it was impossible to get a straight shot onto the bridge..... reminder... winch not work!!!.. :(
If I slipped off I would ave even more fun trying to get out.. As I was deciding what to do... I came up with a thought.... What if I lay the lumber for the deck across the logs an bridged the gap??? :!:

That is what I did.... I still had to walk the atv across and stear from the ground as I checked the tire location... but I made it... now all I had to do was figure out how to get back across without the lumber!....
One thing at a time!!
I reloaded the trailer.. long process.... and made it to the cabin without much issue....
I was able to find enough old plywood chunks and material at the cabin to get me back across..
The trip out was much easier as I was only hauling out some dredging equipment, which was much lighter.... But it was still 9pm by the time I got back to ton and got the atv back on the trailer....
One long tiring day..... But it beats traffic jams!
Looking back on it, it was a great experience.... I got the chance to improvise to get the job done.... Wanting to just quit, made me so stinkin angry I bet I scared every bear out of the area.. Lets just say I got a lot a practice in cursing at high decibels.....
That just made me more resolved.. I did not want to let the employer down, so close to the objective....
That would have made the day an entire waste...
I'm stronger, smarter.. (maybe)... and better at what I do..... and that is totally worth it......

And if Bigfoot was watchin, he was no doubt shaking his head.....
Where were ya buddy!... Could have used a hand! :lol:

MLe6Kf8l.jpg

Made it!!

pRctHOxl.jpg

I was thinking of just stashing the lumber when it dawned on me to use it to cross

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
Reuben, Yep, if a guy hasn't had to try to make it over a wet root structure, they just don't know how to have fun. Although when I started I didn't have a winch because I figured a come-a-long would work just fine. Little did I know!!!. It was a good theory, just not all that good an idea. After that I always had a winch on my ATV's. Not only that but extra rope and cable. Can't have too much, just in case the winch cable isn't long enough. Even then you can get in a situation where there is nothing to tie off to for the winch, (especially in the tundra) so I carried along an anchor, to have something to hook to.

The key thing is you got the job done. Good for you. I didn't see the trailer you were using so don't know what all you were up against. I had an Alumaweld trailer, and a fiberglass trailer made by Plaschem. I know the original owner (Floyd Apling) passed on sometime back but his son Randy is still doing that kind of stuff. I even designed a few trailers for those doing the same kind of thing you are talking about, hauling long pieces of lumber, for stuff like snow fences. That takes a walking axle to actually get the job done. Fixed axles don't work so well. Glad you got it done, with out any fury help. :mrgreen:

contender

Ruger Guru
Come to McDowell County NC this coming weekend. They are having a BigFoot convention. Some have accused me of being him,, or at least when they have found my tracks in the woods! :D :D

contender said:
Come to McDowell County NC this coming weekend. They are having a BigFoot convention. Some have accused me of being him,, or at least when they have found my tracks in the woods! :D :D
I would imagine that your tracks WOULD lend credence to the legend. :shock: :D

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
Bear Paw Jack said:
Reuben, Yep, if a guy hasn't had to try to make it over a wet root structure, they just don't know how to have fun.
. I didn't see the trailer you were using so don't know what all you were up against.

I always have extra cable and strap on my ATV's.. snowmobiles too..... And I have trails around my swamps.. I keep to the high ground when I can. Although there is always a wet spot or two....
The trailer was home made. A simple flatbed.. 24" wide and maybe 40" long.... floatation tires.... It isn't a bad trailer.. It was just overloaded. It had enough lumber to build a 4x4 deck and steps about four feet high, as well, as three totes of misc tools and fuel...
I was over balanced and the center of gravity was to high.
The one thing a small trailer will never be... is a big one!! My winch was non functional. I put it into free spool, and it would not lock back in......
It took five attempts to climb one hill... (hill is an exaggeration!) There just wasn't enough traction to lug that trailer.. and because of the length of the lumber it was back heavy... (the ATV was a 350)...
And as you know BPJ.... every hill has a bend at the bottom that forces you to slow down when you need speed... and don't forget all those exposed roots!!! If not them.. then it is rocks and boulders...
I imagine I will be tasked to build a proper bridge. The property is for sale, but nobody would want to try and cross that thing with a load.. Why the heck they didn't place at least one more log in the middle just baffles me...
Next time.... I'm testing the winch myself before I go!!

If and southern "bigfeet's", wander into my territory.. they better wear a big ol Ruger shirt!! Just to be safe....
(And whiskey as a gift is traditional)...... :wink:

Funny about Bigfoot, Loch Ness monster and UFOs, you don't hear nearly as much about them since everybody now has a cell phone that can film and video everything!

Looks like some beautiful country there!

kramden

Blackhawk
At this point if one hasn't been hit by a car and is laying dead on the side of the road I'm not buying it.

eveled

Hunter
kramden said:
At this point if one hasn't been hit by a car and is laying dead on the side of the road I'm not buying it.

This position makes a lot of sense. Also the observation that now everyone has a video camera on their phone yet we aren’t seeing videos of said creatures.

Doesn’t mean they never existed. Just means they went extinct.

Reuben stated: “But it was still 9pm by the time I got back to ton and got the atv back on the trailer....“
Is it still light or dark thirty up there now? Good job Reuben! Nothing like entertaining yourself? :p :mrgreen:
gramps

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
If anybody hit something that big, the vehicle, AND DRIVER!, would probably still be there too... :) like hitting a big ol moose...

Actually Gramps it is starting to get dark by 8pm....... Add the fact that it was clowdy, and it was pretty dim out.... By the time the ATV was on the trailer it was as dark as night gets....
The only critters I was were a couple grouse, and 30 billion gnats. They were pretty horrible.....
But.... we did find that there was an internal part on the winch that was out of spec, (perhaps), as a guy I work with, who is pretty savy at such things took a file to the part, and it works fine now...
But from now on, I'm doing a pre flight check on all equipment that is not mine, or I haven't used before......
I also have an idea for a lightweight obstacle breaching device to keep with my ATV in the event I need to jump a deadfall, and I have no chainsaw...
The list of things I take with me,to get me unstuck is growing!... :lol:

And in 4 day's.... (monday).... I get to haul a half ton of food up to my cabin for the winter.... Which means that after sunday, I will not be posting, until, I can make my first freight run....
When will that be? You'll have to wait for the video.... :wink: :lol:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
WendyZXZ said:
Funny about Bigfoot, Loch Ness monster and UFOs, you don't hear nearly as much about them

Hi,

Wendy, did you see the article in the last couple of weeks or so they now think Nessie is some kind of a big eel. They have an eel of some sort in the Loch, but nobody knows how big it can get...

Rick C

Rick Courtright said:
WendyZXZ said:
Funny about Bigfoot, Loch Ness monster and UFOs, you don't hear nearly as much about them

Hi,

Wendy, did you see the article in the last couple of weeks or so they now think Nessie is some kind of a big eel. They have an eel of some sort in the Loch, but nobody knows how big it can get...

Rick C

Hi Rick!

I haven't seen that one but I have seen one of Nessie swimming in a Whataburger(Texas thing!) parking lot.

In Texas Whataburger is the burger place.

exavid

Hunter
Who says we don't eat gnats? I bet I've eaten my weight in no see ums in NW Alaska over the years I lived there.

Latest posts