BIG GAME & THE 327 MAGGIE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
Well I promised yesterday to blood my new Ruger 8 shot 327 before nightfall, I did it but it was a lot of work for an old fat boy! The snow was 4"-5" above my gaitors & without my trusty walking stick I'd probably still be laying out there somewhere, every step was an ordeal.
I went to the range first thing this morning to check out some different loads because yesterday the 16 rounds of 5.4 grs of WST & 100 gr cast hadn't shot all that well at 25 yds. I mentioned the trigger is bad, its real bad, offhand shooting with a trigger like this will ruin you!
I tried 3 different loads today with 2 different bullets, I added a 115 gr gas check to the test. Nothing shot very good, I could keep 5 out of the 8 rounds in about 2" with the other 3 rounds wandering a little, opening things up to 3'-3 1/2", so its either the load or the shooter.... :cry: actually what I think is wrong is the bullet hardness, these were cast for my 32 maggie at about 950 fps, with the 327 maggie its easy to run 1300 fps & although I'm not getting any leading I think its just to soft an alloy for this velocity, I'll have to wait for some warm weather before venturing outside to cast straight linotype slugs.
Now this cottontail isn't exactly big game but you have to start somewhere! :wink: I tried the head shot & missed him at 15 yds facing me, he ran 20 feet or so & turned broadside, the next 115 gr slug at around 1300 fps drilled him through the spine, he didn't even kick. This is the first critter ever taken with Rugers new masterpiece...........at least in Soda Springs, Idaho on Feb. 6, 2010!!
If you don't have you name on the list for one of these little gems you better get started, these are going to be fun, fun, fun! :lol:

100_2275.jpg

Dick

mt

Single-Sixer
Look's like you enjoyed yourself. Once you get spoiled with good trigger jobs your expectations are changed forever.

mt

2 dogs

Buckeye
Dick, its too bad there are so many people who have a negative attitude towards the 327 Federal Magnum. They say stuff like, its so LOUD, or the sixgun is too HEAVY for the caliber. The truth of the matter is that I NEVER hear my guns in the field, and if your sixgun is too HEAVY you should get out and exercise more. PLUS the fact remains that the 32 calibers KILL all out of proportion to their size.

If you dont have one, you have NO idea what you are missing out on. Fast, Flat and Accurate. The Weatherby magnum of revolvers.

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Way to go, Dick ! I knew it wouldn't take long to get a notch in your gun.

Maybe if you change your name to 8shot, the gun will shoot better :D .

I know you mentioned the lousy trigger, and the .125" front sight, have you taken into accont trigger finger fatigue, with that 8 shot :D .

I have no doubt you'll have that baby purring like a kitten, yet growling like a lion at game, in no time.

Great picture ! Makes me miss you, and all the fun you have !

tookalisten

Blackhawk
Darn, I really had not put much thought into this gun/caliber; but now that you have posted this, then I had to go and read the GunBlast article on the .327 and now I am convinced that I need one too!
Ruger should put you on commission! Great pic too.

contender

Ruger Guru
As always,, I waited patiently for the pics of a baptised 327 you'd post. Excellent!
I too want to know the peticulars for the loads when you get it all worked out!
(It musta been a bit cool & such. You actually buttoned the shirt!)

sixshot

Buckeye
Fermin, "The Weatherby of Sixguns", I like that, & you are correct, anybody that doesn't jump on one of these little jewels is really going to be missing out. If I could get back off the roads a mile or so I could take a coyote with mine, just too much snow!
I'm sure my cast slugs are a little soft for the speed I ran them yesterday, I'll fix that as soon as it warms up. But I did expect the GC 115 gr slug to do a little better, put it together with 12 grs of H110 for a starter but got 2 inch plus groups, kind of cold! Also, the triggers awful!
Ty, I did button up the shirt (thanks) but by the time I got back to the truck I was pretty warm, I was sinking at least 20" every step........but I did get my bunny!

Dick

nn

Single-Sixer
Nice hunt, I wanted one of those blackhawks; but, the GP-100 got here first.

dougader

Hunter
Great job, Dick! Great hunt, with all the snow and such. Hats off to you for getting out there and doing it. Me, I'm still on the couch after a day at church.

I was hoping you'd share your load. I'm surprised the GC didn't help more than it did, too. Maybe you just haven't got that "sweet spot" yet. Who knows, maybe the sweet spot in the longer case, etc, needs a real screamer at 1400 - 1500 fps...

americal

Hunter
OK :!: GREAT going on the rabbit kill :) but I am waiting on more dangerous game like the BADGER :p sixshot deadly as ever with 6 rounds left :lol: pretty good idea for 8 shot 357--but Mr. SIX don't need no 8 shots on his skill level :!: :!:

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm gonna have to get me a 327 Blackhawk myself. It's just gonna be a little while before I can afford one. Too many others to buy!

BearStopper

Blackhawk
Your handgun small game hunts are fun to read about and see pictures of. Keep em coming as it is some very good reading and inspires me to want to do more hunting with a handgun for big or small game.

sixshot

Buckeye
I've said it before, I'm a lucky man & I know it, I can go 5 minutes in any direction & be hunting & I live in town! I've seen elk from my carport, I have mule deer walk through the yard 2-3 times a week, we've shot badgers on the front lawn, I could see the roof of my house when I shot my bull moose, we've spotted bear & mountain lion within 5 minutes of the house, I've flushed grouse next to my mailbox. The list goes on, its a dream place to live if you love the outdoors & like to hunt, fish & enjoy the clean air, clear rivers & beautiful mountains.
Everyday I try to enjoy the outdoors, don't take myself to seriously & sleep good at night!

Dick

Boxhead

Blackhawk
Dick,

That is why I am keeping my place in Idaho which is 20 miles out of town up a mountain and pretty flushed with critters and good fishing not too far off. In retirement I will bounce between there and the Hill Country. You know someone that does something like that don't you?