big bore options/opinions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Nurse

Bearcat
Headed back to africa summer of 2013 and have started the quest for a new rifle for Cape Buff. Dad is bringing a new ruger 375 topped with a 1.5x5 leupold. I was entertaining the idea of the ruger 416 but don't care for the SS, shorter barrel and houge stock. I contacted Ruger to see if there was a chance the 416 would be made as an "african" model with no such luck. I thought maybe I could pick up a ruger 416, ditch the ugly stock for a laminate, but then realized that some serious coin would have to go into atleast one cross bolt and some bedding. I would really prefer to stick with ruger, but I don't think I want to spend $2000 on a rigby, 458, ect for a rifle that I probably wouldn't ever hunt with again. Looked at a few M70's in 375 at the local gun show last weekend. Nice rifles, but was leaning more towards a little bigger caliber as 375 is the minimum for buff. I do realize that more buff have fallen to the 375 than any other caliber, just looking for a little bigger. Thoughts? Anyone restock a 416 ruger? Just thinking out loud here, but would appreciate opinions.

Thanks

txpitdog

Single-Sixer
I know this is not what you had in mind, but dang if it won't be tough to beat it for the money. There's also a 375 H&H Mark V for 800.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=276497898

If you and your dad are going together, it would also make sense for you to take a 375 Ruger. That way, you both can back the other up in case ammo gets lost in transit or if you need to share while out hunting.

Might also want to check the classifieds at accuratereloading.com. That's a very African hunting oriented site based in SA but with plenty of Americans selling lightly used big bores.

joker12

Bearcat
If a win. M70 suits you then one chambered in .416 rem mag is very hard to beat. It's a very nice rifle and the .416 rem hits much harder than the .375 and shoots nearly as flat too!

Nurse

Bearcat
txpitdog said:
I know this is not what you had in mind, but dang if it won't be tough to beat it for the money. There's also a 375 H&H Mark V for 800.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=276497898

If you and your dad are going together, it would also make sense for you to take a 375 Ruger. That way, you both can back the other up in case ammo gets lost in transit or if you need to share while out hunting.

Might also want to check the classifieds at accuratereloading.com. That's a very African hunting oriented site based in SA but with plenty of Americans selling lightly used big bores.

You make a good point about have the same caliber for ammo. Our first trip the Africa in '07 dads luggage didn't make it for have the hunt. We were smart enough to atleast split up our ammo. Again, not interested in another plastic/hogue stock. I already have rifles that fit that bill and purpose. Thanks for all the replies, keep 'em coming!

mike-c

Single-Sixer
Greetings,

I have the 375 Ruger Alaskan, and the stainless 416 #1. The #1 weighs about nine pounds with it's laminated stock. The 375 weighed about eight pounds with it's ugly black stock, but it is easy to add lead to the stock to add weight. Both are great cartridges, but I would choose the 416 RCM for big game.

Mike 8)

gunners

Single-Sixer
Have you checked out CZ they do quite a reasonably priced safari rifle in 375,416 rigby and 458 win mag which would probably be the one I'd choose. Plenty of bullets for all sorts of game to choose from in that caliber

Major T

Blackhawk
Consider renting a heavy over there. I suspect the cost will be cheaper than buying, transporting two ways, then selling a rifle that you will never again use after you get home. Your hunting company will likely have what you need. Have fun, jack

Nurse

Bearcat
gunners said:
Have you checked out CZ they do quite a reasonably priced safari rifle in 375,416 rigby and 458 win mag which would probably be the one I'd choose. Plenty of bullets for all sorts of game to choose from in that caliber

I have looked at a few. Had a chance to shoot one in 458 lott. That's a BIG gun. I have a chance to buy a used Ruger in 458 win mag for $750. I feel that's a more than fair price....thoughts?

Nurse

Bearcat
Major T said:
Consider renting a heavy over there. I suspect the cost will be cheaper than buying, transporting two ways, then selling a rifle that you will never again use after you get home. Your hunting company will likely have what you need. Have fun, jack

There are hunters that do that, but it's not for me. Every time I pull out the two rifles I took in '07, it brings back memories. One is a run of the mill M77 SS in 338 with an ugly Hogue stock. I also use that rifle quite a bit for Elk hence the SS and black rubber. Second is a Colt Sauer in 25-06 that is extra special to me. I also wouldn't consider selling the rifle if I took it to africa and killed a Cape with it. Dad will be turning 65 when we are there and, honestly, will more than likely be the last time he goes back unless we win the lottery.

mike-c

Single-Sixer
Greetings,

If you shoot something, the rifle will always be a reminder of your trip. A rented rifle will be returned.

A 458 Winchester magnum should handle about anything on feet, but can you handle the recoil, and the weight of the rifle on a long hot hunt. The 500 grain loading has substantial recoil even in a ten pound rifle. Better try it, before you buy it.

Mike 8)

longears

Single-Sixer
That seems like a fair price on the 458.

On the 416 Ruger, in January Davidsons had a run of about 30 416 Africans. They are sold out now. I'd bet that most got squirreled away in safes, but you might be able to find one for sale.