Big Bore GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
Read the write up and the pet load for .44 Special is 7.5 gr. Unique with a 250 gr. bullet.
Hmmm. about same thing for .45 Colt...250 gr. over a bit more powder 8.0-8.5 Unique.

Cordite

Single-Sixer
RUFFBIRD said:
I hope in a short time Ruger makes these with at least a 4.2" barrel so we here in Canada can buy them!
It turns me on.... :)
Previous post...
" Jeff Quinn just says stand an inch closer to the target... And that it makes sense if you don't think about it. "

Maybe you should stand 1.2" closer to the U.S. border... and then it would be OK to buy them in Canada.... And that it makes sense if you don't think about it.
:p

Cordite

I found this on another forum. I thought this was pretty interesting.

For what it's worth......
Using Brian Pearce's measurements in Handloader 293 referencing the S&W 696 and 396 .44 Special revolvers which are made on their L-Frame, I made a few measurements for comparison on my new GP 100.

The cylinder walls measured at the star end of the cylinder on the Smith measure .054" while the Ruger measures .065". Strength of the steel used for cylinder manufacture withstanding, the new Ruger should be plenty strong in this area.

The breech area of the barrel (forcing cone area) of the Smiths measure .035" compared to .055" on the Ruger.

I thought you guys might find these measurements interesting and maybe answer a few questions you might have. It looks like Ruger covered the potential weak areas pretty well without overkill. I look forward to getting this gun holstered up so I can carry it daily where possible.

I placed my order a day after they were announced, so I hope it gets here really soon. I have not been this excited for a new gun in a long time! I really love the look of the unfluted cylinder, in my opinion, it looks very modern and industrial.

Bear Paw Jack, thanks for the giving us the dimensions, I was wondering about that!

flc

Bearcat
I just picked mine up and am impressed! I heard elsewhere that someone got one and it had the regular finger groove houges on it. Mine came the way it was supposed to and I like the look of the grips but they are way too big for my hand. Luckily, I had a set of the Ruger Compact grips in my junk box so that's what's on it now. Feels much better! Hope to shoot it before next week.

Pistolero said:
Bear Paw Jack said:
Pistolero said:
I placed my order this morning. It should be here by Monday. Now to go bullet, dies and empty brass shopping.

Good for you Pisolero!!! I hope you enjoy it. Do I know where you got it?
You sure do! :D

Thank you,

Picked mine up today. It's a winner. Got the grips as advertised. I'd like a good front sight. Don't care for FO Sights. We'll see what happens.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I think the unfluted cylinder is for strength as we know some folks like to hot rod the 44.

Rclark

Hunter
Just style... As most of us know, the flutes do not take away from the strength of a cylinder. Just a 'little' weight is lost. Probably wanted it to look 'different' from standard GP-100 .357 :) ...