BHG Vaquero, ream 45 ACP cylinder to 45 Colt?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David Lee Valdina

Single-Sixer
As has been said before, the .45 acp case head spaces on the case mouth. That leaves the case sitting flush with the cylinder. You can not just ream out the cylinder to take a .45 Colt case as that has a rim that sits on the cylinder making the required gap different between the two, which is why a second cylinder is required. Post #3 above is wrong. I post this not to ruffle feathers but to help keep you from wasting money.

contender

Ruger Guru
David. My post is correct.

The OP mentions his Vaquero. That makes the gun a New Model. The New Models do not have the recessed chambers like the Old Models. The New models,, such as his Vaquero, the case does headspace on the case mouth,, BUT,,, the rim sticks up above the rear of the cylinder.
Go & measure a New Model .45 convertible. The cylinders will be the same OAL, the same chamber lengths, the same boss length, and the same ratchet length. The rim of the .45 Colt AND the .45 acp both stick up above the rear of the chambers.

So, yes,, you can either ream a NM cylinder to accept the .45 Colt,, OR, you can buy a NM cylinder already cut for .45 Colt. It will work, if the OAL of the cylinder is the same as the current one. Or, if you get one a little longer,, you can hone the boss down to fit the current OAL.

Please do not confuse the OP with mis-information.
My feathers are not ruffled,, but I do have the correct information, and the ability to assist someone about these things.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
My bet is that the .45 ACP cylinder shoots just fine like it is. Ruger designed those cylinders to work. Do not let your notion that it is wrong push you into making a bad decision. Sure, the bullet goes a way in the cylinder. But the throat is designed for that. I bet if/when you get the .45 Colt cylinder the groups do not get any better. And buy the Colt cylinder. Do not mess the .45 cylinder you have up on a notion.

eveled

Hawkeye
.45acp is by far my favorite round in a single action no way I'd change the cylinder to .45 colt.

Especially in a midsize frame. .45acp+p has the midsized frame maxed out anyway.

Last edited:

91B40

Bearcat
I have a large frame Vaquero Sheriff in .45 Colt. I scrounged up a .45 ACP cylinder and had it fitted. Just like getting a new gun for $110.00!
Most of the time, I shoot the auto round, but when I go out into the back country, I put in the .45 Colt cylinder with stiff LSWC loads.

George

Blackhawk
No need for Half Moon clips needed in the 45 ACP cylinder. Cylinder throats are bored for proper head spacing, just load the round it will headspace itself no fall moon clips needed! Proper bullet type is necessary with some cylinders though! Fully seat wodcutter FN bullets, or use a RN round nose jacketed .45 ACP will work best as well as round those RN lead bullets. Again cylinder is headspaced by the case length. George