BH to Bisley conversion?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

texshad

Bearcat
Hey guys, kinda looking for a Blackhawk Convertible in 357/9mm. Did they make that configuration in the old model? Or is it strictly a new model gun? And.... can you put a Bisley gripframe/hammer on it? Thanks for the help in advance.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Yes, there were OM 357/9mm Blackhawks. It's possible but pricey to convert an OM to a Bisley configuration. I believe Clements is the one that makes the OM Bisley hammers.
Any grip frame will likely need to be properly fitted to your cylinder frame and refinished if needed. If you buy an "in-the-white" one, you'll need the grip pin and trigger pin as well. Bisley grip frames also use different screws on the upper ears.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
s4s4u":5r8l0m8q said:
Might be easier to find a Bisley .357 and then get a 9mm cylinder for it.
Maybe, but I can't see any real reason to have a 9mm cylinder unless one had access to a lot of cheap 9mm ammo to burn up. The cartridge is a weak sister in comparison to the .357 mag and accuracy of .355" bullets in a .358" barrel is usually disappointing. 9mm? Who cares IMHO....Dennis

s4s4u

Hunter
Bucks Owin":fbo7rt7x said:
s4s4u":fbo7rt7x said:
Might be easier to find a Bisley .357 and then get a 9mm cylinder for it.
Maybe, but I can't see any real reason to have a 9mm cylinder unless one had access to a lot of cheap 9mm ammo to burn up. The cartridge is a weak sister in comparison to the .357 mag and accuracy of .355" bullets in a .358" barrel is usually disappointing. 9mm? Who cares IMHO....Dennis

I agree, but he asked ;-)

texshad

Bearcat
I should have asked that question to begin with.... What is the accuracy like, I haven't shot 9mm from a 357 barrel before. On the other hand, it would mostly be a plinking gun, I do have a lot of 9mm and have been looking for a few different guns that will shoot it. And it is a good excuse to get a bigger variety of guns...

BlkHawk73":2iu0o6se said:
Yes, there were OM 357/9mm Blackhawks. It's possible but pricey to convert an OM to a Bisley configuration. I believe Clements is the one that makes the OM Bisley hammers.
Any grip frame will likely need to be properly fitted to your cylinder frame and refinished if needed. If you buy an "in-the-white" one, you'll need the grip pin and trigger pin as well. Bisley grip frames also use different screws on the upper ears.

OK why is it any harder to put a Bisley grip frame on an old model than it is a New Model Blackhawk frame?? Will the trigger return spring adapter work.??? Get a NM Bis hammer and have the top part welded to your OM hammer. Am I missing something here?
Alan Harton is making me some Super Blackhawk hammers for my Old Armys as we speak. Old Army and a new model Super hammer.
I do believe Carl has made several OM Bis hammers.
I think once a Steel grip frame has been fitted to a gun it pretty much fits all of them. My experience is, and I have fitted a few, they will swap from gun to gun and not need re-blued. Akso the ones I have sold to other folks say they fit fine.
Jim

Jim is right, yu can graft a bisley spur onto an OM hammer like Carl has done orlike Alan Harton did ontomy Freedom Arms hammer. You can slo buy one of David Clements OM bisley spurred hammers for either a bisley frame or a regular frame. The only problem there is he only makes them once or twice a year and makes enough to fill the orders he gets and a few for himself. That is what these two old mdels wear.
Spence-6Guns017-1.jpg

rugers002-1.jpg