BH Convertible/LCR pic, and a question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ilikeguns

Bearcat
Hi Guys,

I just finished my post in the new member section, so I thought I'd post a couple pics and ask a question. First of all the BH is great! WWB 230gr .45 acp and BB 185gr .45 Super shoot to the same point of impact. I tried a box of the Corbon .45LC 335gr hardcast. They were fun. The DoubleTap 335gr moves a bit faster than the Corbon version. The DT was uh, something I'll save until I need to stop a t-rex or something, lol.

The first pic is just to show size scale between the two. The second pics refers to my question... is the ejector star on the LCR supposed to look like this, ie. different shapes, angles? I just picked this gun up new a couple days ago. I haven't shot it yet. Thanks all.

IMG_5494.jpg

IMG_5449.jpg

flatgate

Hawkeye
I don't see anything out of the ordinary. The cylinder ratchet and the ejector "star" look fine.

What do I know? I have single actions..... :D

flatgate

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The ejector star tips at 8 and 11 o'clock are cut at an angle. I bet that is so it can only go in one way? Now it makes sense. :D :roll: :oops:

...Jimbo

Ilikeguns

Bearcat
Thanks guys for the replies. My only previous revolver experience (2x S&W) had nice even ejectors, same with the gp100 my brother has. If this is the way the lcr is made, no problem. Just wasn't sure. Thanks again for the comments and welcome.

bub

Single-Sixer
Here's a pic of my newer-vintage S&W M649 snubbie. As you can see, it has the "funky" cuts where the ejector star fits into the cylinder, too.

s-wcylinder.jpg

The purpose is simple. It "keys" the star so that it will only fit into the cylinder one way and ensures that the star is aligned with the cut in the cylinder. This allowed S&W (and now, Ruger, apparently) to do away with the alignment pins and all operations to install them- drilling holes in the star, drilling holes in the cylinder, installing the pins and making sure they stay in. The new way is just a few lines of code in the CNC mill when the cylinder is machined. Much easier to produce, if not as traditional as the pins.

Bub

louiethelump

Buckeye
Ditto on the above. It is a labor saver and labor is money. Helps keep the prices down. It is stronger too by the way. S&W formerly had a groove cut down the shaft of the extractor rod, and now they have a flat side on it. Much more surface and easier to machine.

louie

rhatimi

Bearcat
bub":83tkip9v said:
Here's a pic of my newer-vintage S&W M649 snubbie. As you can see, it has the "funky" cuts where the ejector star fits into the cylinder, too.

The purpose is simple. It "keys" the star so that it will only fit into the cylinder one way and ensures that the star is aligned with the cut in the cylinder. This allowed S&W (and now, Ruger, apparently) to do away with the alignment pins and all operations to install them- drilling holes in the star, drilling holes in the cylinder, installing the pins and making sure they stay in. The new way is just a few lines of code in the CNC mill when the cylinder is machined. Much easier to produce, if not as traditional as the pins.

Bub

That's a great concept, my new GP-100 has the traditional pins and drill holes on the star (which have small rust spots on them). I wonder if this only pertains to small frame 5-shot revolvers?

bub

Single-Sixer
rhatimi, I would imagine that, if it works out OK on the LCR, Ruger would eventually move on to doing it on all their DA revolvers. While I haven't looked at any newer S&W revolvers, I understand that they are doing it on all their DA revolvers now. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Myself, while I like the "Old Style" workmanship that goes into doing it with the pins, I can't deny that the new way, with the "keyed cuts" on the cylinder and ejector star, works out just fine. If it keeps Ruger and S&W from having even more price increases, then it is actually a good thing.

Bub