BFR question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tek4260

Buckeye
I figure some of us in Rugerland have a few of these lying around. I am looking at the BFR 480/475 with a 6.5" barrel and have a few questions. I can't stand the thought of having rubber baby buggy bumpers on it and am curious if Ruger SBH grips will fit, or grips designed for the SBH? Also, looking at the pictures, it appears to be a short cylinder rather than the mile long ones on some of their revolvers. Is it shorter? Or do they have the wrong picture. I see on the website that it says it is not simply a bored out 44, but rather designed to be a 475L, so that has me thinking longer cylinder rather than a new frame size. Unless their short frame is long enough already. So how much bigger is it than a Blackhawk? A side by side pic would be great. :) I don't know why I want one, but for less than $800 it may be worth a shot.... Of course thats half the price of a Freedom Arms..... Decisions :?

Thanks

Aggie01

Blackhawk
It's the same size as the super blackhawk/fullsize blackhawk - mostly.
It's the same frame window / cylinder size as a custom 5 shot ruger.

the lower frame doesn't taper like the rugers, and the topstrap is the same thickness the entire length as the Rugers are at the rear sight.

the barrel is about .10 bigger in dia. (.880 vs. 790 for the ruger, IIRC. I know that a base pin made for a ruger interferes with the barrel)

Plan on custom grips and sending your gripframe to your gripmaker. Your gripmaker's blanks for a SBH will work, but Ruger/Lett/Other grips won't work, they will expose just enough backstrap to slit your hand for you. Magnum's custom shop also offers Micarta grips, IIRC.

If my (JT) BFR fits a holster, it's too loose to feel right carrying a midframe in it. If the holster holds a midframe well, my BFR's won't fit. All my holsters were designed for full size blackhawks.

I dont's have a side by side of a Ruger and a BFR, but here are two BFR's together, the DM serial no is an earlier version with tapered rails like a ruger. The JT is the current incarnation.
DSCN0698.jpg

Redstick

Single-Sixer
I have Hogue Hardwood's on a BFR that said, "Ruger Super Blackhawk" on the package and they fit just fine.
Now here's something you meb'be didn't know...
Magnum Research measures the BFR Barrel Length from the front of the Cylinder Frame. So the Legal Measurement of Magnum's BFR with a 6 1/2" is more like 7 3/8" (or whatever - I don't remember exactly).

Fatdaddy

Single-Sixer
I bought a set of Houge rubber grips for my BFR 500. They fit after about a half hour of trimming but don't do much for taming the palm bite. The uncle mike style that it comes with are much more controllable.
Houge rubber=bad fit for sure ( on mine)

tek4260

Buckeye
101_1602.jpg

101_1600.jpg

Here is a side by side with an OM Super and one of my short 45's. Good bit thicker. If this one grows on me, I'll try to find a pre JT. Course it and the OM will be better soon, when I make the barrels about the same legnth as the ejector rod housings. And of course, replace that d@%m rubber grip!