BFR question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

In the classifieds someone is seeking a BFR in either a 5 shot configuration or a 6 shot. Can someone knowledgeable in BFR's address this? Are both configurations current now? Was one offered and then changed to the other; so that one is current and the other is vintage? Are/were they the same frame size? Is there another forum where this question would be more approprate?
Thanks,
KRuger

Ride1949

Hunter

ryanc.ross

Blackhawk
As far as I know, early models had 5 shot cylinders. Newest versions are 6 shot. With regards to the 5 shot cylinders here are some thoughts. It's not that the 44 Magnum requires the extra metal between chambers/throats. Or the cylinder bolt notches between the chambers. It DOES give a single action cylinder a considerable boost in strength. Added weight and different feel for balance are other changes.

The 6 shot cylinder variations are more than ample for any and every published full house 44 Magnum load. Plus, it gives you that extra shot. Lightens things a bit and has a different balance. As far as I'm aware, the 5 and 6 shot cylinders are the same dimensions. As is the frame window.

My WTB ad isn't predicated on one being better than the other. Just prefer not to exclude either offering. Because both versions have their own merits.