Better sites for a Mk II

Help Support Ruger Forum:

22Guy

Bearcat
I feel like I have tapped out the accuracy of my MKII Competition with the standard sites, maybe. I dont want to go to a dot or scope so I am curious if there are more precise sites available for the MKII's?

Thanks for the input!!

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Look at the sights made by Millet. I have them on one of mine and they may not be the best out there but are a noticeable improvement over the factory set.

You can get them in different styles like a 3 dot , or outlined , etc. I put the 3 dot set an a 5.5" bull barrel and it really helped with picking up targets quick...and is pretty decent for bunny hunting now.

Boomer

Single-Sixer
There are 3 separate current threads related to improved Mark sights. Not meaning to be contrary, but I'm not seeing (no pun intended) how replacement Milletts would be a significant improvement over factory adjustable sights except for dots already in place vs painted on by owner. I'm shopping for alternative optics for my new Mk II slabside, but will leave my 215 series Mk II Bull as-is and holster friendly (its not D&P'd in any case). Please write more - I'm ready to learn. http://www.millettsights.com/controller.php/cat09/series_100

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I'm just telling ya what I put on mine and how they worked for me. I am not shooting for little bitty groups with my open sights...if that is what your after...well then they probably won't be good enough for you. :roll:

Have you even looked at Millet's website? There are some pretty decent sights that would cover about 99% of the shooting anyone would care to do. I also have them on some of my single actions. Plenty accurate for any hunting situation I will ever be in and...believe it or not..they are better(imo) than the factory sights. And I've yet to find one set that isn't holster friendly.

22Guy

Bearcat
I'll have to chek it out. I am not that up to speed on all the different vendors around for differnet products.

I am looking for the little bitty groups with it so everything helps!!

if you want "little bitty groups..": then you should go to ANY of the 'red dot' optics, that will make a difference, as for the others, its all a matter of what YOUR eyes happen to "like" to see or works for YOU< as for them being "better", its 'mind over matter...' you spend the extra bucks, it better work,,,when in reality , you remove the "human " aspect, put it in a Ransome rest or such and the gun from the factory is capable of shooting better than the average shooter...I've seen guys shoot the center (X-ring) out of a B-3 target, with"fixed" sights, but they are MORE than capable or above average shooting........ :wink:

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
Boomer":258ib7k0 said:
...Not meaning to be contrary, but I'm not seeing (no pun intended) how replacement Milletts would be a significant improvement over factory adjustable sights except for dots already in place vs painted on by owner...
IMO the Millett adjustable sight reduces glare by eliminating the varied surface planes that are present on the OEM sight. I also find the look cleaner and less distracting. These were probably not major concerns when I was younger, but my older eyes appreciate any help they can get :)
2m48229.jpg

The Millett sight is also of all steel construction and shiny wear spots can be easily touched up with cold blue.
Regards,
Greg

22Guy

Bearcat
I'll have to check those out, thanks for the pics Greg, gives me a better idea of the improved site picture.

Trying to stay away from the scope/red dot set ups until I am old enough to warrent that. My grandfather never used them and could anything with his Woodsman, aspiring to do the same. Think he had much more natual talent though!!

Thanks!

Retread

Bearcat
The visual simplicity of the Millets looks impressive. Does Bomar make sights for Mark II's?

Can't see from the pic - the Millet's adjustable, I guess?

flatgate

Hawkeye
The MIllet sight uses a finer adjustment scheme which could certainly assist the target shooter.

I have them on two revolvers and have been quite pleased.

flatgate

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Retired Utahn":1rm77my3 said:
The visual simplicity of the Millets looks impressive. Does Bomar make sights for Mark II's?

Can't see from the pic - the Millet's adjustable, I guess?
Here's another shot of a Millett sight showing the adjustment screws:
fuupub.jpg

The last time I checked Bo-Mar had tragically went out of business.
Champion does make a sight for Rugers that is very similar to what Bo-Mar made.
Regards,
Greg

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Quick question.

I have a MKII Bull Barrel model with 5-1/2 barrel. I believe it is 512 model. If I get the millet rear sight, do I also need to get a front sight as well?

Thanks,

Charlie

gb6491

Single-Sixer
22Guy":10doz6dy said:
Greg...what model of Millet site is that you have there? 100?

Thanks
22guy,
Yes, that is a Series 100. The one I use on my Rugers (that's an AMT Lightning in the profile shot) is the "Target" model (RS22014).
Leucoandro":10doz6dy said:
Quick question.
I have a MKII Bull Barrel model with 5-1/2 barrel. I believe it is 512 model. If I get the millet rear sight, do I also need to get a front sight as well?
Thanks,
Charlie
Charlie,
The Millett rear sight works fine with the stock front sight on the bull barrel Mark IIs.
20ku1km.jpg

Regards,
Greg

cobalt402

Single-Sixer
gb6491:

Where did you purchase the Millett sight from? Did it fit the factory dovetail w/out any adjustment?

tks, c4

gb6491

Single-Sixer
cobalt402":3f3piik5 said:
gb6491:

Where did you purchase the Millett sight from? Did it fit the factory dovetail w/out any adjustment?

tks, c4
I got them from Brownells, but they have not had them in a while. They do show up every so often on gunbroker and ebay. I did notice that Natchez Shooters Supplies has them listed as "in stock".

I had to take a little off one (just sand on the bottom flat), but others fit without adjustment.

If case anyone is interested in what their white outline sight looks like, here is a shot of it on one of their drift adjustable sights (on my Colt OACP):
svgtbs.jpg

I wouldn't use it on a target gun (just my preference), but it works quite well for fast "torso" type shooting and is usable in lower light levels where the target sight would be hard to discern.

Regards,
Greg

The Volquartsen or Champion sight both are MUCH better than the Millet. I have tossed Milletts in the passed. The two sights mentioned are as good as the old BoMar.

gb6491

Single-Sixer
My guns hit center":3dallvck said:
The Volquartsen or Champion sight both are MUCH better than the Millet. I have tossed Milletts in the passed. The two sights mentioned are as good as the old BoMar.
I respect your opinion. but have always found the Millett more than capable; better than the stock Ruger adjustable sight and surely equal to the Bo-Mar on my 1911. I'll pay postage for any you are going to toss in the future :D
BTW, let me extend a warm welcome to the forums!
Regards,
Greg