Better balance -- scoped Redhawk or Super Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tguil

Single-Sixer
I'm thinking some about getting a scoped .44 mag. Which is better balanced -- a scoped Redhawk or Super Redhawk? Both with 7 1/2 inch barrels. I'll not be shooting "hot" loads. A Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter is also in the mix if I can find one. (I already have a Redhawk but it does not have the slotted rib.)

Tom :cool:

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have a Ruger Red Hawk 7½" barrel with a 2X Leupold on it and also an S&W Model 29 (8 3/8" barrel) with a Burris 2x scope on it. They were both set up for deer hunting with most shots taken offhand under 100 yards.

My Red Hawk has the standard slotted barrel and I used the Ruger Rings. No problems after thousands of shots. I deliberately set up the Smith in a similar fashion (I have Warne rings on Warne bases). Both have the scope between the sights - if I ever have to I can dismount the scopes and use the pre-zeroed iron sights.

I wanted the scopes mounted between the sights as this gives the revolvers "weight forward" balance for much steadier holding. I shoot a LOT two handed offhand and prefer this in all of my revolvers. The weight forward seems to reduce barrel movement (and crosshair movement on the target) for better real world results.

YMMV
Dale53

CraigC

Hawkeye
While I think the Redhawk is a better lookin' sixgun, I prefer the Super Redhawk's scope mounting location over the receiver, rather than the barrel. Redhawk just puts too much weight over the barrel.

s4s4u

Hunter
I have a 9-1/2" SRH in .480, as well as a SBH Bisley Hunter in .41 that has barrel mounts and I do prefer the location on the SRH. I also have Weigand bases on a couple of SA's which locaate the scope over the cylinder, just a more natural thing.

Papa

Bearcat
I have to agree with Craig and s4s4u. I have a SRH in 454 with a Bushnell scope, and I had a Bisley 44 Hunter with a Simmons. I hated the balance of the 44 hunter, I hated the scope and just couldn't stand the thought of shooting it so I traded it off. I love the ballance of the SRH with the scope over the cylinder. It just feels more natural to me.