Best Western Movie

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KIR

Blackhawk
Best Western Movie as opposed to best Eastern movie? Bruce Lee made several "Easterns", fighting off a gang of hoodlums and did it without a gun. :ROFLMAO: Sorry, to get off topic, but my mindless goes in mysterious ways sometimes...

lolbell

Single-Sixer
Have you read the books upon which the series is based? Craig Johnson lives just up the road, and my wife and I have known him since he did his first reading from Cold Dish (first novel in the Longmire Mystery series). "Durant" is actually Buffalo, Wyoming which is a town a half hour south of us. Craig's wife, Judy, owns and runs a store there called Bucking Buffalo Supply Co...it's the official Longmire headquarters and they sell Longmire merch and Red Pony sauce and salsa. Buffalo also hosts Longmire Days in the summer with some of the actors from the show and a bunch of events. Adam Bartley (Ferg) and Robert Taylor (Walt) love this area so much, they come out several times a year just to decompress. If you notice, Robert almost always wears a King's Rope cap, which is from a historic saddlery and rope shop here in Sheridan. The #1 thing about the show that annoys me is that it was filmed in New Mexico! (A close #2 is the choice of Lou Diamond to play the role of Henry Standing Bear...)
Will have to read the books now that Longmire has struck my interest 😃

noahmercy

Single-Sixer
I'll second noahmercy's recommendation on the Longmire books. I read all of them and wished there were more. Very good read indeed.
Craig's working on the next one...he just got back from another book tour in France (they love him over there) and said he's getting back to it. And not gonna' lie, this last book was a little too "Stephen King" for me and a lot of other fans, so we'll see what the next one brings.

BisleyBuff

Bearcat
I'm jumping in late here, but The Shootist always stood out to me. He was dying of cancer when he made it and I remember exactly where I was when I heard over the radio he passed. It may not be the "best" but it impacted me the most.

Johnny-Baseball

Single-Sixer
Lonesome Dove and Laredo get my vote. Great acting and plots that I suspect are close to what the real-life experience likely was: heroes die early and often, and bad guys sometimes get away. Judge Roy Bean getting shot and hanged is but one example. The kids' pet goat dying from snake bite is another.

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
Have you read the books upon which the series is based? Craig Johnson lives just up the road, and my wife and I have known him since he did his first reading from Cold Dish (first novel in the Longmire Mystery series). "Durant" is actually Buffalo, Wyoming which is a town a half hour south of us. Craig's wife, Judy, owns and runs a store there called Bucking Buffalo Supply Co...it's the official Longmire headquarters and they sell Longmire merch and Red Pony sauce and salsa. Buffalo also hosts Longmire Days in the summer with some of the actors from the show and a bunch of events. Adam Bartley (Ferg) and Robert Taylor (Walt) love this area so much, they come out several times a year just to decompress. If you notice, Robert almost always wears a King's Rope cap, which is from a historic saddlery and rope shop here in Sheridan. The #1 thing about the show that annoys me is that it was filmed in New Mexico!
If you get to Las Vegas, NM, the sheriff’s office Longmire uses is there in the center of town. Longmire is one of my favorites!!

codebreaker

Bearcat
Has anybody ever noticed the vehicle drive by in Shane? There is one in Joe Kidd too but apparently it has been edited out of the current version that is being shown on TV.

cyborgt800

Single-Sixer
Not a movie, but I really enjoyed Hell On Wheels. It was about the railroad's expansion West but very gritty and overall well done.

Latest posts