Best Western Movie

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RC44Mag

Bearcat
Unfortunately , it also killed Bruce Dern's acting career.. He was "Unforgiven", for killing the Duke in this film.
I recall seeing an interview with Bruce. This happened during the making of The Cowboys. On set Wayne came up to Bruce and said something along the lines of, I feel sorry for you, you gonna kill John Wayne and they’ll hate you for it. Bruce replied, on the contrary they’ll remember me and that will be good.
Bruce was right, his career took off after and got lots of great roles. He was nominated for Oscar’s at least two times and had quite a few very good and financially successful And he’s still making movies! Big Bruce fan since I was kid and seeing the Cowboys, JW as well. Both great actors and Icons.

Last edited:
Rather instead , boith films were extremely faithful to the novel by Charles Portis . The dialogue in both is almost word for word from the book .
The first True Grit totally changed the ending.... The second came much closer. Mattie never married, one armed spinster that ended up owning the town and going and finding this old outlaws and burying him in the family plot.

It's fun reading all the choices... which are pretty much mine.

The first True Grit totally changed the ending.... The second came much closer. Mattie never married, one armed spinster that ended up owning the town and going and finding this old outlaws and burying him in the family plot.

It's fun reading all the choices... which are pretty much mine.

Too true. The book was also more Mattie Ross centric than the 1969 version. I found it amusing when the 2010 version came out people were complaining that Rooster had the patch on the wrong eye when in the book Rooster didn't wear an eye patch at all.

One of the best things with The Cowboys was it wasn't an over the top John Wayne as Wayne movie like many of his movies did become as the decades went on. He wasn't the best and fastest with a gun or the best with his fist or owned half the territory like in McClintock, he was a rancher facing tough times.

T-Bone

Bearcat
A fantastic topic:

The Big Country (1958) - also my favorite Charlton Heston movie. But BURL IVES really killed it in this movie.
For a Few Dollars More (1965) - my favorite of the Eastwood "man with no name" series.
True Grit (2010) - I like it better than the John Wayne version for sure. He was locked into his "Rooster Cogburn" mode already.
Blazing Saddles (1974)

And I really like seeing all the others you recommended. Lots of stuff to rewatch.

KIR

Blackhawk
RE: Bruce Dern...My fave flick of his is Silent Running, a Sci-Fi film, but still his best acting, along with the little robots.

aaronrb204

Bearcat
The Cowboys.

Bruce Dern played a super mean villain.
I haven't read the whole thread but have you heard the story about what happened after they shot the scene when Bruce kills John? Bruce and the effects coordinator put the squib in his back without telling him. So when it went off John reacted and went down. After they cut he got up and started chewing out the effects guy and Bruce said it was his idea. John tells him that everyone will hate him for it to which Bruce responds that they will love him in Berkley. John laughed.

jmol50

Single-Sixer
I’m dating myself here but two of my favorites growing up were Tombstone and Young Guns.

Midas11

Sergent
1. Once Upon a Time in the West
2. Unforgiven
3. The Searchers
4. Lonesome Dove
5. Ballad of Cable Hogue
6. Lawman
7. Winchester 73
8. Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean
9. High Plains Drifter
10. The Naked Spur

noahmercy

Single-Sixer
I recently purchased the entire Longmire series and watched all 5-6 seasons. I know it’s not set in the 1800’s but it’s a fine a western as I have seen.
Have you read the books upon which the series is based? Craig Johnson lives just up the road, and my wife and I have known him since he did his first reading from Cold Dish (first novel in the Longmire Mystery series). "Durant" is actually Buffalo, Wyoming which is a town a half hour south of us. Craig's wife, Judy, owns and runs a store there called Bucking Buffalo Supply Co...it's the official Longmire headquarters and they sell Longmire merch and Red Pony sauce and salsa. Buffalo also hosts Longmire Days in the summer with some of the actors from the show and a bunch of events. Adam Bartley (Ferg) and Robert Taylor (Walt) love this area so much, they come out several times a year just to decompress. If you notice, Robert almost always wears a King's Rope cap, which is from a historic saddlery and rope shop here in Sheridan. The #1 thing about the show that annoys me is that it was filmed in New Mexico! (A close #2 is the choice of Lou Diamond to play the role of Henry Standing Bear...)

Latest posts