Best Western Movie

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
First, Bridges just copied the Duke, even to the lines and how he said them==nothing very original.

Rather instead , boith films were extremely faithful to the novel by Charles Portis . The dialogue in both is almost word for word from the book .

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Which is the only way to come out of a gun fight with 3 people, alive.

All good points about High Noon .

Except that from the never say never department , prevailing in 5:1 with handguns has happened in real life at least twice with documentation : 1909 Colorado , and US Invasion of Panama .

A third in late Apartheid S.A was officially denied for political reasons , but widely circulated .

In the first & third instances , a lawman was already in place unrelatedly at a location , when a large band of heavily armed robbers burst in . In the second , the enemy combatants were bunched side by side in a hallway , with no room to move or seek cover .

375supermag

Single-Sixer
One that hasn't been mentioned is Lawman with Burt Lancaster.
Some great actors in supporting roles...Robert Duvall among others.
I highly recommend it.

Rclark

Hunter
That is a tough one. Usually anything from the 30s. 40s, 50s is a good watch. From then on it is hit or miss. I can't stand the 'spaghetti' westerns -- blah. Who ever thought them up as intertainment needs their head examined... Of the 'modern' westerns the Sacketts stand out. Winchester 73 is good with Jimmy Steward. Most all the Audie Murphy, Stewart, Wayne, Cooper westerns are good. Many others.

street

Hunter
Cooper took on four bad guys. You need to watch the movie again.

Oh and as to shooting from behind a building Wayne did it right in The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance. From behind a building, in the dark, with a rifle. Another great western.
Yes you are right. He did take on 4 bad guys, but his wife killed one of them!

ProfessorWes

Hunter
My favorites have already been mentioned: The Magnificent Seven, Quigley, Silverado, Rio Bravo, Open Range, and most of Eastwood's catalog. And Blazing Saddles, of course.

Can't say I've liked a whole lot of the more recent Westerns - Denzel Washington's remake of The Magnificent Seven being an exception, although I still prefer the original - but I do have high hopes for the upcoming Corsicana:

I can't believe it's taken Hollywood this long to make a movie about Bass Reeves. Here's hoping they do him justice.

Longcarbine

Single-Sixer
I bet I've watch Unforgiven twenty times. Outlaw Josie Whales, Tombstone, both True Grit's. Cowboy's and Aliens was definitely different but a pretty cool movie.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Lonesome Dove
Joe Kidd
The Stalking Moon
The Professionals
Will Penny
Winchester '73 original

I'll remember the title eventually , but there was a '60s Biker flick that was a remake of Winchester '73 , with a motorcycle playing the part of the rifle .

KIR

Blackhawk
For a comedy-western, let's not forget the movies of Terence Hill beginning with My Name is Nobody.

Shamus2022

Bearcat
Any of the above BUT... the original True Grit NOT the remake with Bridges trying to play John Wayne....

Latest posts