Best set of inexpensive beginner screwdrivers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
After "screwing" up a few sets of screws on some guns with the wrong size screwdrivers, I decided it was time to get a beginner set. I don't want complete crap, but i don't want the most expensive set either. Any recommendations? Price and quality are the most important with an emphasis on price. (Just out of college, no money! :) Thanks.

flhr62

Single-Sixer
Look at Brownells web site. Look at the magna- tip set, you can buy the bits for about $3 a piece. They are hollow ground which is what you want. You can get a cheap handle most anywhere, it's the bits that are important.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, wally work sells a cheaper kit that'll give you a fair assortment of different bits etc. Then, as you need them, order the bits from Brownells that will work for you.

flatgate

Hawkeye
My "go to" screwdrivers are Craftsman brand and I "shape" each individual tool to fit a specific screw on my Ruger Single Actions.

An hour's work will provide you with a set that will "do the job" for a long, long time.

I do not care for the "screwdriver bits" designs at all.
I'm an Old Fart, stuck in his ways, though.

Fine guns deserve screwdrivers that fit perfectly!

JMHO,

flatgate

Big Bubba

Single-Sixer
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6739 ... DRIVER_SET

I have a set of these in all sizes. My dad used these types for many years in his gunsmithing business. They are a quality product.

Like Flatop, I don't like bits. I am "old school". Nothing wrong with the bits, I just like my wooden handled drivers.

Anyone using a crappy screwdriver on a quality firearm should be slapped up beside the ear. You not only bugger the screw, but you can slip and put a good gouge in the metal or the wood of the gun. Garsh Dangit! :(

Rclark

Hunter
a good gouge in the metal or the wood of the gun
Could say you just 'personalized' it ;) . "This here scratch was put on in '95 when I ..." .

I bought the 'Walmart' set that comes in a red box. Don't recall the name. So far I've only used one bit in the set as it fits all the ruger screws the best. interesting.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I bought a wheeler 89 piece professional set. Not exactly cheap, however, my investments (guns) deserve proper tools to work on them.

diesels dad

Bearcat
As gun gear goes, nothing could be easier to find reasonably priced than quality driver sets so there's no reason for any shooter to do without. I have a set by B-Square and another by Porter Cable and neither set cost more than $12 because they were closeouts items at the time. Any good size gun show will be a good bet to have new and used tools as well. Do a tool search on Amazon and you might find decent quality at an acceptable price. If you buy individual bits one at a time with shipping and handling costs you're better off getting a kit right from the get-go. IMO

flhr62

Single-Sixer
Pachmayr 31-Piece Professional Gunsmith Screwdriver SetProduct #: 776936Status: AvailableOur Price:$9.99$26.99Save $17.00 At MidwayUsa

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
Back in the early 70's when I was serving my time in retail hell the hardware store I worked in sold a set of wooden handled screwdrivers by Irwin. They then sold for $5 bucks or less.

I had a friend who was much better then me on the grinder alter the tips to fit standard gun screws; rem, S&W, Colt. I still have and use a few of them.

Few things make me feel as dumb as when I reach in the Brownells screwdriver box for the best fitting tip and then bugger a screw head, cause it almost fit.

langenc

Single-Sixer
Dont buy a cheap set. If you cant afford a good set wait 6 mo and save till you can.

Buy once, cry once--buy twice cry twice and ruin some screws in the meantime and then you will really cry.

flatgate":2udv8jtu said:
My "go to" screwdrivers are Craftsman brand and I "shape" each individual tool to fit a specific screw on my Ruger Single Actions.

An hour's work will provide you with a set that will "do the job" for a long, long time.

I do not care for the "screwdriver bits" designs at all.
I'm an Old Fart, stuck in his ways, though.

Fine guns deserve screwdrivers that fit perfectly!

JMHO,

flatgate

Yep
I do the same thing. I do not like the so called gun screw drivers.
I find the ones that fit then round/polish all the sharp edges off of them.
Have a special one for taking off the grip frame. You can slip and you will and it doesn't hurt a thing. I can't stand the magnatized ones, you finally get a screw in then get the driver close and out it comes.
Jim