Best scope rings for Ruger 77 ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hammer

Single-Sixer

Have several Ruger 77 rifles and have had for many years.

I like the idea of the Ruger scope mounting system and have used it exclusively on Rugers over these many years.

Some folks are telling me that there are other brands of scope rings, e.g., Leupold, Warne, Conetrol, etc, that fit on the Ruger 77 action and fit better than the rings supplied by Ruger. They tell me that the other brands have better tolerances and don't put the scope in such a bind.

Thoughts ?

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Don't know what to tell you since I've never had a set of rings that "bind". The other ring makers can't IMO make their rings fit the scope cuts any better than Ruger can so I don't see how things would be that much of an improvement. I do use a 1'' bar to ensure ring alignment no matter what brand of rifle I am mounting a scope and will lap rings just a touch if need be but have not had to lap a Ruger set because of any ring misalignment. I have lappped them to get a better fit to the scope on some heavier recoiling rifles for a little extra insurance but normally haven't seen the need to mess with them. I have actually had the most trouble with Leupold and don't use them anymore. I stick with the Rugers and everything else that's not Ruger gets Burris Signature rings.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
I use Ruger Rings on Rugers with two exceptions.

One on a M77ST round top I used a set of Talley's. The other is on a M77 Hawkeye I used a set of Leupold low rings which are a little lower than Ruger low.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Some folks are sometimes wrong. One of the best of many things Ruger brought to the shooting world.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
I've always considered the included rings to be great , never even considered not using them

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Never used non factory Ruger rings. Can't imagine any good reason. Not even if you got more money than a big horse can...well, you know. :wink:

C6S1C

Bearcat
I have used most of those mentioned rings.....all are fine but they do not compare to the FREE factory rings. Those folks that are suggesting this other rings ( just my guess ) probably do not own many( or any ) ruger rifles. Go Factory...Go Ruger.

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
I have used of course Ruger rings and Leupold.

I must say MKII rings seem to have better tolerances than the new Hawkeye rings they just seem more refined and finished better.

Leupold rings look sharp and actually look like an upgrade from Hawkeye rings. I think they sharpen up the rifle. Visually looking at fit Leupold rings fit Leupold scopes precisely no question the tolerances are tighter-I don't think this really makes a huge difference accuracy wise,because I have had good results with both.

I like black rings with black scopes on any rifle blued or stainless so a new Hawkeye Matte Stainless will need different color rings for me -Ruger will exchange any color rings for you for free. So, while waiting one year I tried Leupold must say worked and looked good. Leupold only make high and super high ring heights for Ruger M77 so if you want low rings you must go factory.

All my MKII's blued have Ruger rings -all my Hawkeyes have Leupold.

Also the high Leupold rings match Ruger medium rings height wise.

Hope it helps some-Good shooting Steve

martyj

Blackhawk
C6S1C":3w2s2op4 said:
I have used most of those mentioned rings.....all are fine but they do not compare to the FREE factory rings. Those folks that are suggesting this other rings ( just my guess ) probably do not own many( or any ) ruger rifles. Go Factory...Go Ruger.

Have to agree

350Rem

Bearcat
6mmsl, I would have to disagree with you on Leupold only making high and super high rings, I have a pair of lows (which are slightly lower than ruger lows) on my M77.

Ryanusmc

Bearcat
I prefer warne qd rings. Nothing wrong with factory ruger rings, they work fine. I just find that there is zero poi shift when I remove the scope then replace it in warne rings compared to rugers. Ruger rings will hold poi OK but warnes are better in my experiance.

Ltdshooter

Single-Sixer
I quit using Ruger rings some time ago. Warne QD for the rifles with iron sights and for the smooth barrel guns - Warne regular rings. Better quality and one hell of a lot better price.

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
350Rem":1g5ewzvb said:
6mmsl, I would have to disagree with you on Leupold only making high and super high rings, I have a pair of lows (which are slightly lower than ruger lows) on my M77.

I stand corrected-

Good shooting -Steve

Ruger1nut

Blackhawk
Can't say as much for 77's but on my Number One's I like the Warne Rings, especially on the open sited guns. I also like the fact I can have one scope mounted and move from rifle to rifle especially when testing for accuracy. I can buy one good scope and use it on several rifles.

For instance I love my 6mm but once and a while I feel like shooting my 22-250. I have 6.5x20 Leupold mounted in Warne rings and just move it to the other rifle. I keep notes as to the zero and just do a quick bench site in and away I go

I have used several pairs of Leupold especially when I use extended rings.

I don't know that I can say the Leupold's are any better but they do seemed to be finished better.

Also when having them CCH they seem to look nicer when finished.

Dave

walks_at_night

Bearcat
Hammer said:

Have several Ruger 77 rifles and have had for many years.

I like the idea of the Ruger scope mounting system and have used it exclusively on Rugers over these many years.

Some folks are telling me that there are other brands of scope rings, e.g., Leupold, Warne, Conetrol, etc, that fit on the Ruger 77 action and fit better than the rings supplied by Ruger. They tell me that the other brands have better tolerances and don't put the scope in such a bind.

Thoughts ?

I've had success with burris, leupold, warne, and several other rings/bases. I've never actually used any other rings on Ruger rifles, although I've had some that didn't fit so well.

Yesterday I shipped two sets of factory rings -- one set off of a new 77/22, and the other set off of a 77mkII, back to the factory to be fixed or replaced. They both have the same problem -- the top halves of the rings are WAY too tight; tight enough that it is nearly impossible to accurately adjust the scope for reticle cant, that and they are scarring my leupold tubes...that's a no-go. They are obviously out-of-round, and I'm guessing this is attributable to metal stress. I've used just about everyone's rings at some point, and I've never seen any rings like these. Too bad, as I am a Ruger nut. It's bad enough that I have to throw away the factory trigger and spend the money on Timney, but throwing away the factory rings is just a bridge too far. Hopefully they will send back rings that are within spec. If not, I'll replace them with Leupold rings.

Latest posts