Best scope for SBH Hunter 45LC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Emaho

Bearcat
A question for you experienced hunters/distance shooters: I just got a Super Blackhawk Hunter 7.5" in 45LC. A revolver of this size and caliber is a new experience for me (shooting a GP100 6" and Police Service-Six 4" .38 now) and, after 50 rounds at the range (50-100 yds) I'm thinking I'd like to have a scope for occassional use. No experience here, either, and I'm planning strictly target use. What's the best route?

Any advice and insight into shooting a scoped revolver would be appreciated. Thanks much.

jengel

Bearcat
I have a SBH Hunter in .41mag with a 4x Leupold. If you are going to be standing on your hind legs and shoot offhand, that is probably the most power you want in a scope. I think that a 2x, 4x or a 2-7 Variable would be good.

jcart

Single-Sixer
Emaho":1viqvie3 said:
A question for you experienced hunters/distance shooters: I just got a Super Blackhawk Hunter 7.5" in 45LC. A revolver of this size and caliber is a new experience for me (shooting a GP100 6" and Police Service-Six 4" .38 now) and, after 50 rounds at the range (50-100 yds) I'm thinking I'd like to have a scope for occassional use. No experience here, either, and I'm planning strictly target use. What's the best route?

Any advice and insight into shooting a scoped revolver would be appreciated. Thanks much.

When I had mine I used a Leupold 2x pistol. Worked good, but took some time getting used to using it.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I STRONGLY suggest you try to shoot a gun like the hunter with the scope before you buy one. I am a pretty good sized guy (6'3" with ape like arms) and for me the Leupold scope can not be mounted to the rear far enough for me to get a good field of view. The scopes do have some adjustment but not enough for me.

I use the scope on the Super Redhawk where I can mount the scope about 4 inches or more to the rear compared to the blackhawk hunter. I am going to try a red dot scope next on my 45 Colt Hunter that I want to use for deer but I also know that the Burris scopes have a reputation of working better because of eye relief.

I love leupold scopes, just because the ring cuts are so far forward you really need to look at the eye reliief or you could be very unhappy with how well it works for you. Still, it does work, but boy can I tell the difference between the full field as I get on the Super Redhawk as compared to the limited field I get on the Blackhawk hunter or Redhawk R models with the same scope model. When hunting, it is hard enough finding the deer in the scope without fighting to find the field of view as well.

Just my oppinion and I am no expert but I have struggled with this and this year I will carry a revolver for deer without a scope because of these problems.

MK111

Bearcat
I have used the Ruger Redhawk 44 mag 7.5 in barrel for almost 20 yrs now since they first came out. I have used a Burris 2X scope and it has never failed. The Burris 2X fits between the rear sight and the front sight without removing either. I have over 5,000 full loads of 240 and 310 gr cast loads shot through it and the scope is still as new. I have taken 19 deer with this outfit and now have the Ruger SB Bisley Hunter 44 mag with the 7.5 in barrel.

A 2X power in my experience is the maximum power to use for hunting. Anything more powerfull and it cuts down on time getting on the animal and reduced field of view. Just my experience.

jcart

Single-Sixer
Hmmm. That could be why I could not really get used to the scope. I considered cutting the barrel to 51/2" but sold the whole setup and found something of interest.

s4s4u

Hunter
I put a Simmons 4x on my SBH Hunter, it fits within the sight spacing so I can switch from optic to iron quickly. The eye relief is perfect for the arm length on this 5'-9" guy.
41withscope.jpg

I have no problem getting on game at any range with this rig, and the 4x is nice on those longer shots. Practice, practice......

maxpress

Buckeye
i like the single power multi reticle red/green dot scopes though i dont have any mounted on a handgun right now. i figure if it to far to see single power then a .45 colt wont make it there. at least not at the handgun distances i shoot. anyway i thought these were a fast to target accurate setup on a friends sbh hunter and on a .45-70 lever i had.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
Quarterbore":cad92th3 said:
I STRONGLY suggest you try to shoot a gun like the hunter with the scope before you buy one. I am a pretty good sized guy (6'3" with ape like arms) and for me the Leupold scope can not be mounted to the rear far enough for me to get a good field of view. The scopes do have some adjustment but not enough for me.

I use the scope on the Super Redhawk where I can mount the scope about 4 inches or more to the rear compared to the blackhawk hunter. I am going to try a red dot scope next on my 45 Colt Hunter that I want to use for deer but I also know that the Burris scopes have a reputation of working better because of eye relief.

I love leupold scopes, just because the ring cuts are so far forward you really need to look at the eye reliief or you could be very unhappy with how well it works for you. Still, it does work, but boy can I tell the difference between the full field as I get on the Super Redhawk as compared to the limited field I get on the Blackhawk hunter or Redhawk R models with the same scope model. When hunting, it is hard enough finding the deer in the scope without fighting to find the field of view as well.

Just my oppinion and I am no expert but I have struggled with this and this year I will carry a revolver for deer without a scope because of these problems.

As a possible fix for the eye relief issue, have you tried the offset
rings to move the scope as far back as you can?

Emaho

Bearcat
Thanks...everyone. A whole lot of great information and lots of food for thought. I don't know, yet, what I'll decide on, but a couple of the suggestions seem right for my situation (target shooting at longer distances).

s4s4u---a very nice pic! Inspiring, even. Thanks for that.

Bill

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
Hands down a 2X Leupold. On my Encore pistols I can use a 4X and again Leupolds, although I do have a 3X Burris on one barrel for the Encore.
But a rev(454casull SRH) worked best with 2X for me.

Pal Val

Buckeye
I have two "Hunters". One has a Leupold 2X and the other a Burris 2X. The reticle in the Leupold is thicker and easier to see. The Burris weights a bit more than the Leupold, so it takes the "bite" off heavy loads a bit better. Everything in life is a tradeoff.

kelbro

Single-Sixer
I like the Leupold 4x on my SBH Hunter but i might switch to an Eotech to see if it works better.

psyclone66

Single-Sixer
If I were going to shoot regularly off the bench out to a 100 I'd be wanting some variable power. JMHO

Latest posts