for a 2X Fixed Leupold, much higher and your field of view is severely
restricted at most usable ranges, plus holding the gun steady at powers
above 2X is a problem for many of us, though shooting sticks may help
out on that score.

s4s4u

Hunter
holding the gun steady at powers
above 2X is a problem for many of us

Statements like this drive me NUTS. A lower powered scope does not make you steadier, it just makes your shake less noticeable. You shake as much or more with a low powered scope than a higher powered one. The higher power just makes it more evident, and if you learn proper technique it will make you a more accurate shooter.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
s4s4u":7xk9m3k6 said:
holding the gun steady at powers
above 2X is a problem for many of us

Statements like this drive me NUTS. A lower powered scope does not make you steadier, it just makes your shake less noticeable. You shake as much or more with a low powered scope than a higher powered one. The higher power just makes it more evident, and if you learn proper technique it will make you a more accurate shooter.

Would the moderators please delete my original post here so that
whoever this is that thinks I drive him nuts will no longer be offended
by an imprecisely worded attempt at advice to a fellow forum member?
Then delete this one too, I tried to give some
advice in response to a request and gave the best I could at the time
and got this in response!!

s4s4u

Hunter
I meant no offense, but I gotta call BS when someone says lower magnification will make for a better shooter. 'Scuuuse ME.

PS I have a 4x Burris on mine, it shoots fine.

Cholo

Staff member
"We're picking sides?"

No, exchanging ideas. If Stonewall wants to poke little bitty holes on paper a higher magnification is a better bet. If hunting? I'd go with the 2X fixed scope; either a Leupold or Burris. My only scoped handgun has a 2X Leupold riding on it; a S&W 29 Classic .44mag. If I can't get it done with that, I need a rifle.

s4s4u, if you like a 4X so be it for the reasons you mentioned. Nobody's wrong here. Just a matter of what works best for the shooter.

Grow some thick skin 45. :wink: I'm about the only one who thinks a .243 is a great cartridge for hunting medium sized deer. They can have at me till the cows come home. No matter to me. I know what's worked for me...

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Cholo":12ag0u1m said:
"Grow some thick skin 45. :wink: I'm about the only one who thinks a .243 is a great cartridge for hunting medium sized deer. They can have at me till the cows come home. No matter to me. I know what's worked for me...
+1 on both points. Both 45 or deer are too thinned skin. A good old 243 with a good bullet will take care of business if you know how to shoot at all.

wwb

Hunter
Cholo":1ijzzwdw said:
.........If Stonewall wants to poke little bitty holes on paper a higher magnification is a better bet. If hunting? I'd go with the 2X fixed scope.....

There it is in a nutshell.

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
Haha, thanks for the answer^^.

I'd like to hunt with it and target shoot, so maybe an adjustable wouldn't be too bad. I could always keep it on low magnification when I'm in the woods, and then crank it up at the range, right? Might as well have it to use if I ever need it...

Aqualung

Blackhawk
If going for a variable, try to find one in the lower ranges. I have a 2.5x - 8x on my Super Blackhawk and not only does the higher power amplify any movement (does that meet the explanation and linguistic criteria? :roll: ), but is difficult to keep eye alignment in check. Any deviation from a perfect sighting plane makes it difficult to get a good sight picture through the scope.

I'd agree that a 2x or 4x fixed would be a better choice. Spend the extra money that you would spend on a variable powered scope on a fixed power of higher quality.

Aqualung

meanc

Single-Sixer
#1 if you think you're going to have to take quick/close shots then a lower magnification will work because of a wider field of view (quicker acquisition) and lower amplfied movement

#2 if you're hunting/shooting targets with it and able to take your time for a well placed shot at a farther distance, a higher magnification will be better for more precise shots.

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
I think I'll go ahead and get a high quality fixed 4x, after reading all of y'all's remarks. I'll probably get a Leupold or a Nikon.

maxpress

Buckeye
i like the red dots for close range guns. never had one on a pistol but they work well on shotguns and levers for fast shots and are good at 100yrds to

i just dont like hunting for crosshairs on brushbusters

s4s4u

Hunter
Red dots are nice for quick shooting, but I have found that they are not so good in low light even with the brightness turned way down. I have a red/green dot sight on a Bisley 45LC and use the green much more than the red. There is less of a halo effect in the tube than with the red. Some scopes have a lighted reticle that can be tuned off when not wanted, so you get the advantage of both.

maxpress

Buckeye
good point. i guess i expect them to have both red and green dots but i got so used to just calling them reddots that i dont even specify anymore.

tbear99

Bearcat
i have used it with succes in the very last traces of light and had no problems.Long after you lose the open sights or non luminated scopes