Best rounds for the 308 Gunlite Scout?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Enigma

Hunter
That's impossible to say. You should buy a box of several different bullet weights and brands, and see which ammo your rifle prefers. An expensive proposition, to be sure. If you want to take a shortcut, try either Federal Gold Medal Match, or Black Hills Match ammo. Those bullets are not suitable for all purposes, but they should at least be accurate.

To say what's best, we would need to know what the heck your shooting at. As in targets, game, self defense. Followed by you must have some idea of paper targets or steel targets and at what distances. With game, bunny rabbits, deer or even bigfoot. Other wise let your pocket book be your guide, shoot it and enjoy it.

gunzo

Hunter
Welcome to the forum Harris.
The 308 is happy with soft point 150 grain hunting bullets or the popular 147 FMJ for pinking or practice. It goes up in weights & energy from there.
Your use for the rifle might set the gauge for the ammo you need.
What might that be?

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
Honestly, there is probably not a single commercial load available that won't perform at least adequately from that rifle. These days folks feel like if a rifle won't shoot MOA it's no good, when the fact is that many famously-accurate hunting rifles of 50 years ago shot no better than 2 MOA on a good day. Try a bunch and you'll find something outstanding; in the meantime, enjoy experimenting and know that even if you haven't found "the best" yet, you'll find plenty that are good enough.

Generally speaking the .308 is pretty 'forgiving' regarding ammo. I don't recommend 'FMJ' ammo to the novice crowd since it may be inappropriately used in either hunting or unrestricted target shooting. Not that much difference in cost.
The OP may still be trying to figure out what FGMM means.
The Gun(s)ite Scout is primarily a short to medium range carbine. Oddly enough, the forward mounted scope was 'supposed' to allow faster reloading of the internal magazine but some of the current models seem to have a removeable box mag so there's a big 'WHY' in my head for the LER scope need. I honestly tried the 'scout scope' idea and never found it an advantage for a hunting rifle.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Got mine just a little over 6 1/2 years ago. Great all around rifle!

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Whatever IT LIKES!!! My 30-06s like military equivalent loads but are a Springfield, a Garand and a 1917 Enfield. My Krag likes military equivalent loads with a Sierra soft point. My 300 Win Mag likes Federal premium 180 gr with Noslers=taken several elk, several deer and numerous wild pigs, as well as coyotes, ground squirrels, bobcats and badgers with it at ranges out to 400+ yards. I personally have never liked the 308 but to each his own!

BTW: My 1903A3 hit a steel pig at 500 yards consistently with surplus ammo, with iron sights. That was better than my faux 1903A4 with a Weaver sight.

Learning what is best is the fun of it all! Decide what your purposes are going to be and re-ask the question.

R-71

Bearcat
I have mine sighted in with 150 grain ball ammo and use 150 grain soft points for hunting. what is best depends largely on what you plan on shooting at.

Garth69

Single-Sixer
Would like to know what is the best rounds for the 308 Gunlite Scout?
I will tell you my results with Federal Gold Medal Match......1/2 MOA
With 168 grain Game King bullets in handloads.......3/8 clover leaf. almost one ragged hole.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Ok, don't shoot Big Foot he's a friend. No bullet for that will be good for elephant hunting, so rule that out.
I wouldn't shoot Bigfoot or elephant with a .308 but just for conversations sake, Walter Bell the worlds premier elephant hunter back in the day used calibers which were inferior to the .308. He took over 1,000 elephant's in his time and most humongous. The Brit version of .303 was his usual caliber of choice. Interesting read.

I beleive I have read the 7mm Mauser was also used to shoot elephant. I suppose if you lived in areas with trouble elephants and only had one rifle you used what ever you had.