Best/Good cleaning kit for newly acquired Security Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triplebike

Bearcat
Hi all, Newbie here, I just acquired a Security Six with a 4" barrel. Any suggestions for a decent cleaning kit for cleaning/maintaining it. Thanks

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Never throw away another toothbrush!
Look around for some G96, and buy two or more at a time. Great stuff for blued and stainless, in any climate.

Second for the mops, get a few.

;)

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Good firearm maintence is paramount to keeping the gun in good shape. There are many kits,,, but let's look at the basics. You need the following;
A cleaning rod
Tips to push or pull a wet patch through
Patches
Cleaning solvent
Bore brush of proper caliber size
Light gun oil
Now,, there are a lot of different kits from "basic" kits that have enough stuff in them to do a variety of calibers,, usually available from most gun shops & even our big box stores (wally world, etc,) that can work. More detailed kits are available from gun shops or online that can be better suited to your needs.
Most kits use a solid rod as a cleaning rod,,, but there are others. Such as excellent kits from "Otis" which use a cable pull through "rod" vs a push through type. (BTW; a pull through allows you to clean revolvers from the breech end, which is the way it should be done.) Then there are "bore snakes" which are also pull through cleaners. If a solid rod is used,, then a softer material such as brass is recommended. Solid rods are better than jointed ones. Pro Shot, Tipton, Dewey's all make good ones.
Tips or jags to use for the patches are available from the same makers as the rods. Same for the bore brushes. Patches are a cheap item,, and you can buy the correct sized ones or cut others to fit. Or,, you can use 100% cotton T-shirts cut up for cleaning patches.
Solvents; Most of us like Hoppe's #9 as a bore cleaner for most general cleaning. It's a good quality, well known bore cleaner.
Now,, if your gun is stainless,,, & you shoot many lead bullets,, they make a speciality item called "lead away" cloths. They work wonders for removing lead deposits, & even the burn rings on the face of the cylinder. DO NOT USE THEM ON BLUED GUNS!!!!!!!
Follow this with a good gun oil & you'll be in good shape. Don't over do the oil,, a LIGHT coating will suffice.
I hope this helps a bit!

wixedmords

Blackhawk
A blued or stainless Security Six triplebike?

BTW, if your username is indicative of an old Kawasaki triple, I still have the sound of that triple saved in my mind. My older brother had one for years as his first road bike and I can still remember the sound of it in the night from miles away as he was coming home. Truly something that is missed that is long gone.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
'Feel thread drift coming on... cannot resist...'

1976 bought a "green model" 750 Kaw triple, with an exhaust pipe -expansion chamber I can't recall the make... I could handle it on few roads, and only a slight hump could cause it to float the front tire. I ran a friend's piped-454 Corvette and dusted it for the first half-mile everytime. If I still had it today I wouldn't even consider the stuff I used to make it do!

Oh yeah - the cleaning kit thing...

gwnorth

Bearcat
One other thought... Along with a .38/.357 bore brush, it's handy to have a .40 brush as well. If you shoot a lot of .38spl, you can clean the crud ring in the cylinder chambers by wetting with a little solvent (eg hoppe's) and using the .40 brush - couple swipes usually does it.

triplebike

Bearcat
wixedmords":35lla4qb said:
A blued or stainless Security Six triplebike?

BTW, if your username is indicative of an old Kawasaki triple, I still have the sound of that triple saved in my mind. My older brother had one for years as his first road bike and I can still remember the sound of it in the night from miles away as he was coming home. Truly something that is missed that is long gone.

A blued 4", I swear I can't find any major wear marks on it anywhere. I think it was setting in a closet somewhere for many many years. Sure doesn't look like it was used much. Fires perfectly.

Now on to the bike, yes you nailed it. My 2nd street bike, Kawasaki 500 H 1 Mach III. The stories I could tell...

triplebike

Bearcat
mohavesam":2x1dckox said:
'Feel thread drift coming on... cannot resist...'

1976 bought a "green model" 750 Kaw triple, with an exhaust pipe -expansion chamber I can't recall the make... I could handle it on few roads, and only a slight hump could cause it to float the front tire. I ran a friend's piped-454 Corvette and dusted it for the first half-mile everytime. If I still had it today I wouldn't even consider the stuff I used to make it do!

Oh yeah - the cleaning kit thing...

LOL! The 1st time I got on it & hit the powerband The acceleration was so intense I froze solid. I was very glad I decided to do it in any empty parking lot. And this was coming off of a 1968 Kawasaki 350 Avenger 2-stroke which was no slouch by any means.

triplebike

Bearcat
contender said:
Welcome to the Forum!

Hey thanks contender! Great post as well!

Thank you very much for you very informative post. I appreciate you taking the time to lay it out the way you did. I believe I now can head out to my local gun shop & get exactly what I need.

contender

Ruger Guru
Glad to help!
I've grown fond of the Otis kits & the Bore Snakes for revolvers so I can clean from the breech. Food for thought!
PS; I remember those Kaw's,,,,! Only bike I ever wrecked on pavement with,,,,!

Latest posts