Best factory non FMJ 7.62x39 hunting ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

"Not allowed FMJ here."
'Allowed' (legal) or not, FMJ should NEVER be used for hunting game animals.
The 'best' ( a relative term for certain) deer hunting ammo I've found for the 7.62x39 is Hornady steel case 123(?) grain SST. PPU round nose is OK but I've not found any rifle that feeds it well(not even a bolt action).

ssqman

Bearcat
I did know FMJ wasn't suitable for hunting.
PPU seems to be the only thing available online.
I guess I'll have to visit local shops.

PPU Soft Points is very decent ammo. I have used it in multiple bolt guns and semi's without any problems of any kind. 2" groups are the norm at 100 yards.

I've also used Federal and Hornady hunting ammo in this chambering. The Federal gave me 1" groups, and Hornady by far the best groups at 5/8". These were shot from bolt guns. I've not found either available for quite some time.

Last edited:

GasGuzzler

Hunter
You can buy PPU ammo or load your own with PPU bullets. I bought a bunch of the PPU soft points in .310" for the very thing you speak of back before everything got stupid expensive over night.

"For hogs?"
If hunting hogs specifically, the common (and cheaper) European ammo loaded with bi-metal jacketed hollow points might be a good choice. In most paces, this is legal and from limited experience, it will expand (or tumble, hard to tell which) in critters. I/we shot a few deer with this bullet and all were full penetration with limited internal damage but the deer were recovered so they did work.

ssqman

Bearcat
The hollow points are available. So that is an option. I'm going to the LGS most likely on Thursday. Maybe they have some good choices in stock.

moparclan

Single-Sixer
Have hundreds of rounds of Wolf hollow point. Not sure if they are still available. They were is a black and yellow box, not even sure when I got them.

mikem2

Single-Sixer
A couple of options
Federal blue box, brass case, soft point
Hornady maroon box, steel case, Hornady ballistic tip
Tula, steel case, hollow point steel core