Best ammo for Target shooting?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tava

Bearcat
For my Ruger Mark III Hunter (6 7/8 barrel)

I was told to stay away from the High Velocity rounds

Thanks!!!!

96/44

Blackhawk
Rimfires tend too be very particular about ammo, with each gun having a different preference. I would stay away from most bulk packed bargain ammo, and CCI mini-mags generally work well in anything. Just buy a few 50 rd boxes of different ammo and see what shoots best in your gun, high velocity ammo will not be an issue.

Pete G

Bearcat
I like my MK III Government Competition. I have a Bushnell Red Dot on it and use CCI standard velocity 40 Grain and no problems here.

lark63

Single-Sixer
I tend to disagree-I have MKII's and MkIII"s along with other 22LR.
Mine eat the bulk packs great.
Nothing like a afternoon shooting a bulk pack and only costing $15.00 or less.
Give them a try or do you have issues with your gun?
I do not notice a great difference in my targets. I have tried a lot of them.
Keep us posted

tava

Bearcat
Thanks for the info all. I will try a bunch and see what it likes :)

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
96/44":yabwilh4 said:
Rimfires tend too be very particular about ammo, with each gun having a different preference. I would stay away from most bulk packed bargain ammo, and CCI mini-mags generally work well in anything. Just buy a few 50 rd boxes of different ammo and see what shoots best in your gun, high velocity ammo will not be an issue.
+1; Agree that they all seem to have a preference, but not about staying away from the bulk ammo. My MK III shoots Remmy 'golden bullets' just fine, However..... it REALLY likes Federal 'Lightning' stuff, and just LOVES CCI "Green Tag" ammo. Naturally. The latter goes for around $75 a brick; . . . when you can even find it!
So when I'm just plinking, almost anything I can buy is ok, but when I want a really small group, I pull out the good stuff. Makes a LOT of difference when I'm shooting for the best group I can get.