Belted mags

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Davedog

Bearcat
Does anybody out there know why some folks are against using a rifle caliber that has a belted mag? I see it said on other blogs as well as here. I'm contemplating my next rifle and I was wondering. Thanks in advance.

v/r Dave

Fred M

Bearcat
Using belted magnums for many years, never yet had anything to complain about except the recoil. I had to give up on the bigger ones because of a shoulder ailment. Other than that no complains.

I think the bad wrap comes from the dangerous rifles in
bolt action versions. The hype about new beltless cartridges is just a sales pitch to 99% of hunters that never hunt dangerous game.

Besides the London gun makers have produced many of the 300 and 375 belted magnums and bigger bolt guns of which hardly any have ever given any trouble in Africa.

Since I only hunt deer now I use the smaller and lighter
cartridges. I still have one 300 Win Mag in case I go elk
hunting some day again.

If you fancy one of the belted magnums, go ahead and get one. Most of them are one shot killers in the hands of a rifleman. I hunted with a 300Wby for 25 years and rarely ever used a second shot on any big game in this country.

96/44

Blackhawk
The only downside I see is limited case life for the reloader. Belted cartridges headspace on the belt, rather than the shoulder, and cases tend to stretch quite a bit in the shoulder area. Just my 2cents, and I am somewhat fanatical about getting as much life as possible from my brass.

Fred M

Bearcat
96/44":3o6x3ei1 said:
The only downside I see is limited case life for the reloader. Belted cartridges headspace on the belt, rather than the shoulder, Just my 2cents, and I am somewhat fanatical about getting as much life as possible from my brass.

This sort of missinformation has been circulated by Handloaders to confuse new reloaders. Only factory loads are head spaced on the belt. Once the case has stretched to chamber dimensions, the belt from then on is ignored and the die is set to head space on the shoulder.

I have magnum cases that have been reloaded in that
manner and lasted just as long as any non belted cases.

So please don't perpetuate this eronious wisdom any more.

DGW1949

Hunter
I don't like 'em because they cost too much, the brass aint common like say, 30-06 brass is, and as a practical matter...I haven't yet seen where they make the gun do anything a non-magnum won't do....except excite the big-boomer lovers.

Another thing I noticed back in my gunshow days is if ya got's 3 used rifles for sale, and they're all simular except for caliber....a .308 or '06 will sell much faster than a 300 Win Mag. And 9 times out of 10, the non-magnums will bring more money.
That, and ya almost can't give them oddball Weatherby-calibered rifles away.

On the other hand, a magnum rifle might be a good thing, if you got a real use for it.....dunno.

DGW

picketpin

Buckeye
I personally liken the big belted cases to the cases on the other end of the scale, the small caliber cases ie. the 17 Remington and 204 Ruger and their like.

They fill a very specific niche. In the sub calibers it's shoot a fast little bullet with zero recoil in a centerfire rifle and not blow up coyotes etc.

They aren't better varmint rifles for generalized varminting, that falls to the 223 or the 22-250 predicated on what and where you hunt.

Same deal with the big belted magnums. Do you need one, no. Does brass or ammo cost more, yes. Will the non belted, non magnum case do everything that a bigger belted mag will do, no, not unless that case has the same case capacity.

The belted mags, most of which are over bore, work best with the heaviest bullets for caliber. That's where they shine. If I know the shots might be long and I'm hunting elk, I use a 338 Win Mag. Deer or stuff smaller than elk a 7mm STW.

All the rest of it, brass life, barrel life, reloading ease etc. is a smoke screen. Very very few guys arre ever going to shoot a belted mag enough to wear out the barrel. Buy a hundred cases and shoot you rear end off and hunt a lot. If you really try most guys MIGHT shoot 500 rounds of ammo this size, in a life time.

Just buy and shoot what you want, it'll be just fine.